Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #1

Belt's Rollers

When I replace my drive belt last night, I did check the belt idle rollers and the tensioner roller. I can feel some plays on one of the rollers when I grabbed and shaked it. Also, I realized that there is a whinning sound that is coming on that particular roller. If I am going to replace one, I rather replace all of the rollers. Is anybody knows what direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) do I need to do to unbolt (untighten) all rollers? I do appreciate your help, thanks.

itoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoy
When I replace my drive belt last night, I did check the belt idle rollers and the tensioner roller. I can feel some plays on one of the rollers when I grabbed and shaked it. Also, I realized that there is a whinning sound that is coming on that particular roller. If I am going to replace one, I rather replace all of the rollers. Is anybody knows what direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) do I need to do to unbolt (untighten) all rollers? I do appreciate your help, thanks.

lefty loosey on all the rollers, bearing part numbers are in the rss pulley thread.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

As the previous poster said (kind of), it's possible to save some money and replace the bearings only, rather than the entire pulley assembly, if you want to go through the trouble. If you're going to do them all at once, maybe it's worthwhile. Search the forum to find the specs for the bearings.

If you're asking which way the pulley bolts turn, it's obvious you could benefit a lot by investing in a Bentley shop manual. As you work more on your car you'll find out that everything has a torque specification, and this manual's got them all. Save time on one job and it's paid for itself. THE BEST money you'll spend on your car. This is the best price I've found:

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Boxster-Service-Manual-1997-2004/dp/0837613337

Last edited by gschotland; 08-17-2010 at 02:30 AM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #4

+1 on the Bentley manual. It is simply a must.
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 AM   #5

+2

favino1006 is offline   Reply With Quote