986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   ouch! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2579-ouch.html)

richardda 04-25-2005 04:09 PM

ouch!

OK, so I washed my new (to me) '99 Boxster, and I'm chamosing off the rear of the car, when I hear a small "snap". Much to my horror, I've broken off the bottom of the B on the Boxster script. See the attached picture.

I've read that some of you guys like to remove this, but I like it myself. Should I try to glue it back on, or do I need to go and buy a brand new one and replace it? If I have to do that, I kind of like the chrome ones I've seen on later models. Any idea what these things cost?

Doug

Brucelee 04-25-2005 04:27 PM

The regular plastic black emblem is less than $20 at your Dealer. Personally, I would NOT try to glue the little piece back on. Glue and your paint will not be happy together.

The process for taking the old one off is simple but time consuming. If you car is still under warranty, the emblem is covered, so let the dealer do it.

I have seen the chrome ones but do not know where they come from. Your dealer has black and silver/grey in plastic.

Good luck.

PS-this happens all the time.

chad4835 04-25-2005 04:31 PM

I just saw them on Ebay, both your original and the chrome. The original one is cheap (<$20.00) You can see them at Porsche Boxster -- Parts / Accessories. This is an easy fix, I would buy a new one if I were you. The old one comes off with dental floss, goo gone, and the new only simply sticks on.

RandallNeighbour 04-25-2005 05:19 PM

My 1997 didn't have one on it when I bought it, and I rather like people not being able to peg the car's year (often distinguishable by the color of the badge) or even knowing what kind of car it is in the first place. You'd be surprised how many people will come up to you and ask What kind of car is this?

tqtran 04-25-2005 05:29 PM

buy a new one, don't glue it on (waste of time)

911sc 04-25-2005 07:34 PM

that right when i first got the car give it a good wash ,snap the plastic ,this is what i do ,boil a very warm water .not hot rinse throught it ,it will come off very easy ,and replace it with a brand new one

Shortbus 04-26-2005 10:29 AM

Park it in the sun let it warm up and it should come off pretty easily. I just did that to mine a few weeks back. I need to get it replaced too. My Box is black and I like the new silver logos on black paint.... :dance:

roman 04-26-2005 11:19 AM

Just ask the dealer for a new one. They just gave me one, no charge. If the dealer's any good they'll be happy to give one to you . . .

IceBox 05-01-2005 01:02 PM

and if you're removing the old one yourself, use dental floss to get the logo off. otherwise it may come off a piece at a time, which can get annoying.

Pilot2519j 05-01-2005 01:45 PM

Don't worry

This happened to me after a visit to the car wash. The dealer did replace at no charge. Just stop by and make sure they have it in stock before you have it done. Cost of replacement gratis.