Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Road Trip

I just got back from a road trip with my 2000 base boxster. From Virginia to Ann Arbor, then down to Flagstaff and all around the southwest, then back to Virginia. Over 5,000 miles in three weeks. The car was great, only used about 1/2 quart of oil the whole trip and averaged about 26 mpg with the top down the the whole time.

The car was packed with both trunks full with backpacking gear for me and Cyndy. It was tight, but it all fit. I love the GT3 seats in the car, on the way home I drove a little over 1,000 miles in one day (16 hours straight) and I have never had a seat support me as well.

I made one mistake on the trip (well, at least one that relates to the car), I decided I really wanted to hike up Music Pass from the East in the Great Sand Dunes Park. The trail head access road was listed as improved gravel for low-clearance two-wheel drive cars, so I thought I would give it a try...... like I said mistake, lots of dust and very rough road. Stayed in first gear and creeped along, I cleaned my air filter as soon as I got out of there.

I dont know if it was the altitude, often above 8K or the lower octane gas out west, typically 90-91 octane, its 93 back in VA, but the boxster did not seem as spunky out there (still I could not resist a little speed run on one of the dead flat, very long totally deserted roads out there). BTW, Cyndy was not as interested in the ride out and back, so she flew out to Flagstaff where I picked her up and she flew back to Va from NM, that arrangment worked very well for us. All and all a great trip on which the car turned 100K, and I turned 60 years old . Tomorrow I will change the oil and filters, this thing is still lots of fun.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #2

I've driven my boxster all over the country as well. But my back hurts so bad when I do it I just can't imagine doing it again.

Those GT3 seats are definitely made for guys with skinny butts and I've not had one of those for 20 years.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Congratulations on the great trip and your landmark birthday! A marvelous way to spend it and I am sure Ferry Porsche would be proud.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 AM   #4

Ed, congrats on a great trip. Dr. Porsche would be very pleased!

And Randall, you have a great ass (not that there's anything wrong with that!).
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #5

At 175 lbs and 5'9", it is a snug fit for me in the GT3 seats, but that is what makes them work so well, at least for me. My Boxster in not what most would consider a "garage queen". She has seen rain, sleet (I think), snow (I know), gravel roads and way too much dust this summer for a road Porsche. She has but up with a novice (that would be me, at least me when I got her three+ years ago) mucking around with her intake, exhaust and ECU, and she still purrs like a kitten.

When I got home from the road trip, I changed the oil, cleaned the filters and put her back in condition I normally keep her in. I enclosed a couple more photos, one of me on my 60th birthday somewhere in Utah ready to go backpacking with Cyndy, and the Boxster engine compartment with 102K on the clock when I got back from the trip and cleaned her up. BTW, there was a lot of red dust from the southwest on the driveway when I finished cleaning her up.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #6

I forgot the pics:

Ed