Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #1

Question Boxster Service - Advice Please.

I'd appreciate your advice and experience please Guys. I have owned my 2003 2.7 Tiptronic Boxster for around 6 weeks now. It came with the Service History Book showing reputable UK Porsche Service Centres for services at approx 7000, 11500, 16,000 and 26000 miles. The Car is now at approx 30000 miles. The last service at 26000 miles was done in August 2009 and covered; [I]"full service, replacing oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter & recommended type oil change, removal of all wheels, check & clean all brakes, check all fluid levels and lights, plus two new 255/40/17 Rear Tyres were fitted and balanced"[/I]. There are no details for the previous services, other than the service book being stamped up at these intervals, the brake fluid being changed at the 16000 mile service and the "Long-Life Guarantee Record" being stamped off for 4 years at 16000 miles.

I am feeling that an annual service is probably now due, but maybe I could leave it five-months or so and then get a more in depth 36000 mile service done. What do you think?

I guess at 36000 miles I should also ask for them to check the underbody covers, fixings, lines etc, steering gear bellows, tie-rod ends, axle joints, drive shafts, CV boots. This would be on top of the usual checks that you and I could do by visually checking the car, test driving it and ensuring everything functions. What else would you recommend I ask them to check for my peace of mind to 48000 miles? Did the 2003 onwards models have the same coolant cap issue as some of the earlier models? What about the Rear Main Seal (RMS) and Intermediate Shaft (IMS) failures I have read about, what should I get checked?

A lot of questions I know, but as a Boxster-Newbie my thanks as usual go to all you Guys, for your good advice.

Last edited by BoxsterDuke; 08-11-2010 at 09:15 AM.
BoxsterDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #2

Go here: http://www.986faq.com/7-0/schedule.asp

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #3

A useful link, thank you jcb986. It looks like replacing the spark plugs may be a good idea (although they seem to be running perfectly), I should also add the Polyrib belt condition, coolant hoses condition, to my already rather large checklist. I feel the need for some comparative quotes to be asked for here in the UK.

Does anyone have any advice about leaving the next service until 35,000 miles, as it was done 12 months ago at 26,000 miles?

Does anyone have any advice about checks I should ask to be made for RMS failure and IMS failure?

Thanks!