Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Tranny Removal

Has anyone tried to remove there Boxster transmission? Can it be done on jacks and is it a big deal????

Rkacz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #2

Good question - I've been wondering about that too. One day I will need a new clutch and I'd like to do it myself, but I don't have a hoist and would like to know if the car can be raised high enough on jack stands to do the job.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #3

Yes, it can be done on jack stands. To pull the unit, besides disconnecting all of the necessary bits, you need to also hold the engine up either from below with a jack, of from above using a specialized engine support bar:

Once the engine is supported, use either a transmission jack, or a transmission adaptor on a floor jack and it’s out……….
Old 08-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

Now there's some handy info and pics. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #5

Fancy tools! (correct tools actually)
I do it with a floor jack for the tranny or a motorcycle jack and I put a couple of jack stands with some plywood under the motor. Not the correct way but it works just fine
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
JTP

WTF is with the nonsense babble from Steve Allen from united stats?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #7

Garage
It would appear tha Steve Allen (not the comedian) is a context sensitive spam bot. It takes longer to play the "what is out of place here" game than if it said "Lorum ipselm doscuto prodiem quo vas exitos venitia" with the loaded links underneath.

I would be willing to bet that if you click those links you will find that a trojan, or keystroke recorder has been installed on your system.

Go ahead you click it, I am not going to.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
JTP

Oh hell no! I'm not gonna click those links!
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Fancy tools! (correct tools actually)
I do it with a floor jack for the tranny or a motorcycle jack and I put a couple of jack stands with some plywood under the motor. Not the correct way but it works just fine
As always, there are a lot of ways to skin the proverbial cat here; the biggest problem I have found when doing this on the ground is stay out of your own way while doing it. Supporting the engine from above leaves the entire area under the car clear of obstructions, which is useful for getting the trans jack in and out smoothly, and leaves room for an extra pair of hands, etc. When I see people using stacks of wood or bottle jacks to support the engine, yes it works, but it is nowhere as simple as when you use an engine support bar…….
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #10

like I admitted. The wrong tools but worked for me when I did not have a engine brace
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #11

That engine support bar looks slick. Prices on it range from $50 to $140, so shop around if you're going to buy one.

I love a good excuse to buy a new tool! Thanks again JFP!

Mark
Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #12

FYI: I bought the OTC 4324 Stinger Engine Support Bar ($89.99) - wish I had bought a smaller one, this one didn't fit into the gutter around the engine, so I had to cut up some wood to raise it up, and it slipped when I was trying to get it into position, giving me a dent.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #13

How high does the car actually have to be lifted?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #14

While the answer, “as high as possible” may sound a little trite; it is correct. I’ve seen it done on jack stands with 11” max extension height, which is a little low for me. The higher up the car is, the more room you have to work in…….
Old 08-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #15

Oops... Never mind. I came in here to post how to get this guy out of your car:

(Not that I would know anything about that...)

:dance: