Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #1

Thinking of buying a boxster. Please HELP...

Hi i was thinking of buying a used 2000-03 Porsche boxster 2.7l under 90k manual transmission. I was thinking if anyone could tell me if those years are problematic over the 2.5l engines, and overall is it expensive to maintain a boxster or its a non problematic car... any help that you can give about the car would be great.

Thank you

Skitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #2

Check out this site. And try searches here. This is a very common question.

Buy the best car you can afford and get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) by a qualified mech.

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #3

My 2k boxster needed a water pump around then, and the clutch around 105k. If it still has the original suspension, don't bother trying to compete on the track. LOL
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #4

I agree with 70sixer; buy the best one you can afford. I purchased an 2.7L '01 boxster non-s a few months ago and wish I had done more research and got the S model. Better brakes, better suspension, better engine, etc... Also, get PPI from a mech you trust and any maintenance records you can get your hands on.

Good Luck
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #5

If you want to go for a older and/or higher mileage car because of budget, you're much better off paying a bit more for one enthusiast owned that's been super well maintained and has extensive service records. But don't skip the pre-purchase inspection (PPI). This board and the Porsche Club (http://pca.org/) are good places to start.

It's a buyer's market. Hold out for a really good one. They're around if you're willing to put in the time and be patient.

gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote