986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Hood release cable DIY? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25637-hood-release-cable-diy.html)

drem914 08-03-2010 07:28 PM

Hood release cable DIY?

Would someone please point me to a DIY to set up the hood release cable without having to take out the right side wheel well. I recall somebody posting a DIY here or on Renntech on how to pre-set the cable in the front tow plug right in the front bumper.

I had a little scare today. I tried to pop the front trunk with the release in the key and the one along the drivers seat and neither would activate the trunk release.
I tried again after turning the ignition to the next stop without starting the car and still would not work. It wasn't until I turn the engine over that the front hood released.
I have located the cable inside the right headlight assembly, but want to have it more accessible. I recall a right up that talked about looping the cable where it could be accessed right at the tow plug insert.

Any help would be appreciated.

Burg Boxster 08-04-2010 04:23 AM

correct - most people will reroute it to the front bumper tow hook when they remove the bumper to clean the radiators or replace the horn. That being said, it's not impossible to do w/o bumper skin removal.

Anyhow, since you've located it in the headlight assembly you're ready to go. Just pop out the headlight again and also pull out the tow hook cover in the front bumper skin. Then using a fish tape or straightened dry cleaners shirt hanger, feed that through the tow hook and up and out the headlight assembly cavity. Make a very small J hook in the end of the hanger now at the headlight assembly cavity and hook the finger loop from the emergency pull onto it. You may also want to secure it to the hanger w/ a piece of tape. Then, pull the hanger back out the tow hook hole and the cable will follow. Remove the hanger (and tape) from the cable. Double the cable back thru the tow hook hole leaving plenty of slack so you can easily access in an emergency. Reinsert bumper cover plug. Done!

Word of caution if you have litronic headlights... this tip is all over the internet and as such, I've read of instances where owners have had there light assemblies stolen by someone accessing the emergency pull thru the tow plug. So, reroute the cable using your own discretion if you have HIDs...

:)

Jaak 08-04-2010 10:36 AM

I ran mine so it is behind the rad grill on the right side. Just feel for the ring and pull it from there is all I need to do to pop it. Different location ...

drem914 08-09-2010 07:43 AM

Thanks all for the help.
The little access scare is gone and everything on the front trunk seems to be wring fine.