986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   RSS under pulley: can I reuse the crank pulley bolt? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25632-rss-under-pulley-can-i-reuse-crank-pulley-bolt.html)

violametallic-S- 08-03-2010 11:26 AM

RSS under pulley: can I reuse the crank pulley bolt?

I've been postponing this install due to lazyness. Now it's time. I called rss to see If I could reuse my crank pulley bolt and I didn't really get a confident answer but he said for my year yes I can reuse it. Just wanted to know if anyone has reused it before without issues?

Thanks

Stroked & Blown 08-03-2010 11:30 AM

There was a writeup on here very recently covering this.
IIRC, they are not reusable. The bolt stretches when torqued to spec, similar to many head bolts.

AndyA6 08-03-2010 12:08 PM

How about the belt, then? I guess that has to be changed as well, right?

eightsandaces 08-03-2010 12:53 PM

I have the RSS underpulley, I used the exact same bolt, I have driven the car in a very spirited fashion without any problem, as for the belt, it's a different size, replace the bearings in the rollers too, they are cheap at napa.

lbrown2009 08-03-2010 02:30 PM

bolt replace

I reused my original bolt, no problems so far... that bolt looks like it belongs in a tank, how does it stretch?

violametallic-S- 08-03-2010 08:47 PM

I called Porsche and the part is like only 4 dollars so ill just switch it just incase. But I thought with the RSS UP you can reuse the same belt?

eightsandaces 08-04-2010 02:08 AM

[QUOTE=lbrown2009]I reused my original bolt, no problems so far... that bolt looks like it belongs in a tank, how does it stretch?[/QUO

Eggactly, I would only add mine was pristine, zero corrosion or thread corruption.

If anyone wants the roller bearing numbers or the gates belt number message me, I have both in my car log.

violametallic-S- 08-14-2010 10:29 AM

anyone reuse the same belt? I wasnt told that you need a belt.

chaudanova 08-14-2010 11:24 AM

I have the 4" pulley, and replaced the belt with a shorter one, although I believe on your RSS pulley (which is slightly larger), that many have used the stock belt, and the belt tensioner should take care of the slack just fine.

eightsandaces 08-14-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaudanova
I have the 4" pulley, and replaced the belt with a shorter one, although I believe on your RSS pulley (which is slightly larger), that many have used the stock belt, and the belt tensioner should take care of the slack just fine.

In a word, NO wont work. Gates belt for use with RSS pulley from my work notes

belt is 060827

Johnny Danger 08-14-2010 12:47 PM

In past I've read articles, wherein boxster and cayman owners claimed to have used the original belt. How they were able to accomplish that is beyond my understanding. When I installed my new under drive pulley, albeit BBI's product, I discovered that the oem belt was clearly too long .

violametallic-S- 08-14-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
In a word, NO wont work. Gates belt for use with RSS pulley from my work notes

belt is 060827

Where can I get the belt and bearing? I googled the belt part number and found a site but it says its for mercury cougars...

eightsandaces 08-14-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violametallic-S-
Where can I get the belt and bearing? I googled the belt part number and found a site but it says its for mercury cougars...

You can get the bearings and the belts right at NAPA, trust me, I made extra round trips due to the same information, do what makes you happy or take my advise and get:

skf bearings 6203-2rsj (same for tensioner & roller, best quality available at napa) and the gates belt number I gave you. You will need a bearing punch or similar drift to drive out the old bearings.