986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tighten The convertable top? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25604-tighten-convertable-top.html)

dirkdiggler 07-31-2010 01:23 PM

Tighten The convertable top?

Hi

Just wondering if there is a way to make the top tighter too the top of windshield??

Mine is a little loose and rattles alot...... at the point where the convert top meets the top of windshield.

Any help is appreciated??

Overdrive 07-31-2010 01:37 PM

Hey there, dirk. Is this something you can visibly notice, or is it just something you can hear by the rattling you described? Can you see daylight through the front of the top when you have it up? Does it seem like the movement is due to air moving over it at speed or is it moving from hitting bumps or uneven road? Maybe you can supply us with some pictures if it's something you can see as well as hear. I can't say I've experienced that with mine...the top seems to fit pretty snugly up front when it's up. The only time I ever hear any rattling or groaning from the car is when hitting some substantial or consecutive bumps, or when the car flexes pulling into a driveway, as can be expected from a car missing its roof.

You may also want to make sure you're securing it properly. When raising the top, besides making sure you've got the sun visors down, once it's done moving and the light on the dash goes out, make sure you grab the front of the top with one of the two handhold holes up there and really give it a push toward the front to make sure the top is as far forward as it can be before you lock it back in place. Sometimes the motor will reach its stop but the top isn't quite all the way forward. It could still lock, but may not really be 100% secure. Giving it that extra nudge makes sure of it. Hope this helps.

dirkdiggler 07-31-2010 03:35 PM

Thanks Bud

I will try what you mentioned

Its not a large enough gap to see light through but its looses enough to hear it rattle with every single tiny bump I hit.

If I roll the window down and hold the top with my hand the rattle noise stops.

Just seems like it could fit a little more snug if there are ways to adjust it??

dirkdiggler 08-03-2010 08:08 AM

anyone else have ideas on how to make the Covertable top fit tighter against the top of window??

favino1006 08-03-2010 10:41 AM

There are two arms with a single, center bolt, one on either side of the car, just below the base or hinge of the clamshell that will allow the top to slide forward more. The attached photo is of the driver side. I want to say it's a 10mm or 11mm socket...

Open your top 4 or 5 inches away from front window edge then stop. Run around back and loosen the bolts one at a time and slide the top forward gently a little bit on each side then, retighten the bolts. Get back in the car and close the top to check the fit. You may have to adjust a couple of times before you get the best fit.

Hope this helps =)
-ian

dirkdiggler 08-03-2010 08:07 PM

My top no longer is powered by that motor, It is now a manual top.

Its not so much that it needs to be farther forward but rather pulled downward more/tighter.

JTP 08-04-2010 02:25 AM

The fact that your motor is disconnected is propably why your top remains loose. The motor pulls the top taut at the end of the convertable top's closing cycle.