Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #1

Rattle Coming from Steering Column

I own a 2003 Boxster S, it has 78K miles. It is in very good shape and I take very good care of this car. I have recently noticed a problem. After driving the car a while and taking a lot of sharp turns, I can hear and feel a slight knock coming through the steering colunm/wheel. It's very slight but I want to address the issue before it becomes worse.

Any insight would be appriciated.

Thank You.

Age 27 - Germany, 2 Ea. 924's

Age 28-37 - Bought 1966 912, pulled out of Dirt, re-build, dialy driver for 8 years.

Age 47 - 03 Boxster S Guards Red - Love it!

Future - Speedster Replica
JamesBorisPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #2

It might be a worn wheel bearing. You can check this by jacking up the front of the car and spinning the wheels by hand and listening closely for grinding. Also worn bearings (really badly worn bearings) will give the wheel some play although it's tightly bolted to the car. Yank the wheel top toward you or push it into the center of the car to see if there's any looseness.

There are other causes such as your steering rack going out, a control arm crapping out on you (common problem on our cars) and the list goes on.

You've a great model 986 though. I should have saved up and bought an 03S for it is my favorite of all the 986's.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #3

Rattle Coming from Steering Column

Thank you, I drove it the other day and it did not happen, when I have time I will take it to my Brother's shop and take a look at it, the lower control arm sound logical. Thank's for the complement, if that your black boxster, it loooks in excellent condition, the rims look nice, I have the same ones.

Age 27 - Germany, 2 Ea. 924's

Age 28-37 - Bought 1966 912, pulled out of Dirt, re-build, dialy driver for 8 years.

Age 47 - 03 Boxster S Guards Red - Love it!

Future - Speedster Replica
JamesBorisPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 AM   #4

Thanks for the cudos about my first-year boxster. Get up close to that black paint though and you'll see a completely different car!

The two things I'd like to do to the car next are a new glass window top and a good respray.... both of which are not cheap.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote