Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

Question UK Speed Humps Damage

Hi Guys,

To all those of you in the United Kingdom and England especially, have any of you damaged the underneath of the front bumper on those stupid speed humps the county-councils build all over the place? I noticed yesterday that a black plastic part of the underneath of the front bumper assembly, just in front of my passenger front wheel was broken and dragging on the ground. I've had no option other than to break it fully off.

Has anyone else experienced this and had to replace this part?

Thanks.

BoxsterDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

Not sure what you're riding, but my stock '97 2.5 has pretty good clearance all round. That said, my previous car was wound very low on adjustable coilovers, so it depends what you are used to. After a few years of near zero clearance, you get pretty good at spotting potential problems on the road ahead. When it comes to speed bumps, I don't take any risks.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #3

Yup I've experienced this, nope I did not replace the part. These cars are low and will scrape just about anything. I've learned to slow down for speed humps and steep driveways and take them at an angle. At the same time I've also learned to relax and not worry about it. Nobody sees the underside of my car except me. Think of them as like battle scars! A Boxster owner without scrapes under the chin of their car doesn't drive their car enough!!!

BTW - I have a '72 914 and it scrapes worse. I also have an '03 C4S that scrapes. This problem goes with the territory when owning a low sports car.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #4

Do replace those small vertical flaps ahead of your front wheels when they are torn off (or you tear the remaining bits off!)

They aid in keeping your brakes cool by forcing air to come under and up into the wheel well as well as divert water from going behind your wheel and into your braking system when it rains.

I crawl over road humps at angles. They're being installed on most residential roads in Houston as well.

The only good thing about them is they cut down on "shortcut" traffic in residential areas and keep most of the non-essential cars and delivery vehicles on the larger roads.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Do replace those small vertical flaps ahead of your front wheels when they are torn off (or you tear the remaining bits off!)

They aid in keeping your brakes cool by forcing air to come under and up into the wheel well as well as divert water from going behind your wheel and into your braking system when it rains.
Thanks to you and Kirk for your replies, Your description sounds very much like the bit of black plastic that was dragging along the ground and I ripped off. I'll get some advice next time it is up on the ramps, or if I get a better description of exactly what the part is. Thanks again.
BoxsterDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #6

Rubber Lip for Fender Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterDuke
...if I get a better description of exactly what the part is....
Sounds like it is the "Rubber Lip for Fender Liner".
Part #s:
996-504-503-00-M100
996-504-504-00-M100

The right one was missing (or fell off before I realized...) when I got my car. I only noticed this after scraping the bottom going over a speed bump, and saw the left side one was barely hanging on. Took 10 minutes to remove all the old plastic and screw in the new ones.

Pelican Parts Rubber Lip for Fender Liner

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Last edited by pschaub; 07-29-2010 at 12:38 PM.
pschaub is offline   Reply With Quote