Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #1

Spark Plugs

Think I may attempt a DIY spark plug change tomorrow and was wondering what the best plugs were (or if it matters), and, if i go to AutoZone, do they have a "lookup" tool in-store that I can use to make sure I get the correct spark plugs?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Autolite-Xp-Iridium-Spark-Plug/2000-Porsche-Boxster/_/N-jenuqZ8gctd?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=spark+plug&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=896883_0_0_&_requestid=504483

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #2

I stuck with the Beru, but I believe Bosch, AC Delco and Champion also make some...

Check out the MFG site and look for a part # and then ask for that.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #3

couple more dumb questions before I head out to pick them up...

when doing the plug change, do I need to have the fronts on ramps, or do I just need the rear high enough to get the wheels off the back?

and

do i need to disconnect the negative side of the battery before jacking, or will this not affect the alarm system?

thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #4

This job is not as easy as it appears. Offhand I don't have many thoughts on it, but I advise being really careful reattaching the power to the coils (or one may fall off on the highway like mine did and leave you with a 5 cyl car to get home with).

Also, I wrapped my socket extension with duct tape to almost the diameter of the tube that you reach the wrench into. That way you will avoid wobble that may crack a plug or cause you to cross-thread it. Use a torque wrench.

Re plugs, stay away from parts stores that carry only cheap parts. I forget the recommended brands offhand. I'm away from home where my files are kept.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #5

But it's not exactly rocket science either, so if you have even marginal mechanical ability you should be just fine.

Here's a great tutorial:

Pedro's DIY

Pedro... thanks again, man. Can't say that enough.

I used the Bosch plugs and they work great.

You don't need to jack the front. You can jack the rear one side at a time if you like.

Don't disconnect the battery. Why would you have your alarm set while you're doing this anyway?

You do remove the coil packs from the plugs (obviously) but I see no reason to disconnect the wires from the coil packs unless you are replacing them.

Before you start, look for oil leakage from around the tubes. Might as well replace the o-rings while you're in there if they are starting to seep.

I like that duct tape idea. Cross-threading plugs is bad.

I don't use a torque wrench. I tighten them until I feel the crush collar compress. Been doing plugs that way for 30+ years and never had a problem. If you don't have that feel then you should probably use the torque wrench.

Set aside the afternoon to do the job. Sure you could probably blow it off in an hour or two, but relax and take your time. Have a good look around in there and enjoy the process.

Mark
Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #6

I think I'm gonna order the Bosch plugs online. How much are the coil packs? (looked at Automotion and Pelican. anywhere cheaper than that?)I've had a CEL Misfire all throughout winter and it was suggested that I check my coil packs. I might replace them while I'm under there. I'm trying to DIY a 60k service lol.

I think if I can manage the spark plugs, I'll tackle the O2 sensors next, possibly with cat bypasses at the same time.

Not sure what I was thinking on the alarm thing, just get nervous

To clarify, you just have to get the car high enough to get the wheel off right? You don't actually have to get UNDER the car at any point during the plug swap? it's all kinda, "from the side of the car" type work?

Last edited by stateofidleness; 07-17-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #7

You'll enjoy this project more if you get the car a few inches higher. One must get into some contortions to get to these plugs. I believe that some of the coilpacks must be unplugged to slide them out. You be the judge. It will be a shame to change the coilpaks unless they are actually bad. Wait for a few more answers from readers on this. Did mine (on an '01) at 35K. Supposed to change plugs at max 6 yrs!!!

Bob
Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #8

You'll be in the wheel well, but not actually under the car (unless you drop your socket and it rolls away ).

High enough to get the wheel off will suffice, but like Bob said, the higher it is, the easier the access. You are using jack stands and not just the jack, right?

I like buying from Pelican - their prices are good, they are great to deal with for their regularly stocked items, and every so often they send you coupons for cool stuff.

Do you have fuel filter on your to-do list?

Mark
Old 07-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
You'll be in the wheel well, but not actually under the car (unless you drop your socket and it rolls away ).

High enough to get the wheel off will suffice, but like Bob said, the higher it is, the easier the access. You are using jack stands and not just the jack, right?

I like buying from Pelican - their prices are good, they are great to deal with for their regularly stocked items, and every so often they send you coupons for cool stuff.

Do you have fuel filter on your to-do list?

Mark
fuel filter eh? i saw the pics on that DIY and gotta say, not looking too easy... jack stands... was thinking, jack up car (at jack point) safety block under rocker, front wheels chocked.. do my thing on one side, then repeat on other. jack stands are such a pain in the ass and i don't feel like making hockey puck arts & crafts

i wasnt able to get the plugs today, so im gonna order them online with some new coil packs as well. hopefully next weekend i can get them all installed.

while i have the rear wheels off, where would be the most suspect place to look for a "flutter" type exhaust leak?
Old 07-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #10

You're going to be right inside that wheel well. Maybe I'm just old and paranoid, but unless all I'm doing is changing a tyre, I never trust a jack.

Maybe give this a read - it might take some of the pain-in-the-ass factor away:

Pelican jacking guide

A big thanks and an extra piece of pie for Wayne.

Mark