Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

Think Inside the Box.

If you think the Boxster is small... check it out next to my 1966 Triumph Spitfire Mk2.

In every dimension you could entirely fit the Spit inside the Box with room to spare.

What else do you think fits inside the Box?

fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #2

How about a HOT looking woman...I thinks' that is the best accessory you can have.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Does anyone actually think the Boxster is small?

I think it's about a foot too long and about half a foot too tall. There's more bulk than I'd consider ideal. It could keep the same wheelbase and still loose a foot in length with all that front end overhang.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #4

Garage
I know everyone has probably already noticed this..

A friend of mine has a '69 911T. He had it parked next to my 2kS in the driveway. I have a deck that overlooks the driveway. I was blown away at how much smaller the old 911 was.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
All I have to say is I wish my garage looked like yours, fusionist...those are two beautiful machines, and if I had my choice I'd have to drop into the Triumph. I love that classic look the cars had back then.

I used to think the Boxster was small, but very quickly realized it's only small (in some ways) on the inside, and even then it's not so bad. I'm pretty sure it's pretty much close to the same length as my '03 Corolla sedan, and maybe only a bit wider (or its just got fuller hips ) a few inches lower to the ground, and certainly several inches lower at the roofline, which would also give it a wider-than-is appearance.

Anyways, I bet that Triumph is a blast.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
All I have to say is I wish my garage looked like yours, fusionist...those are two beautiful machines, and if I had my choice I'd have to drop into the Triumph. I love that classic look the cars had back then.

I used to think the Boxster was small, but very quickly realized it's only small (in some ways) on the inside, and even then it's not so bad. I'm pretty sure it's pretty much close to the same length as my '03 Corolla sedan, and maybe only a bit wider (or its just got fuller hips ) a few inches lower to the ground, and certainly several inches lower at the roofline, which would also give it a wider-than-is appearance.

Anyways, I bet that Triumph is a blast.
My Boxster is very obviously longer than by brother's Jeep Cherokee!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #7

986 is about the right size for me (6'2", 185lbs), meaning I'm not rubbing shoulders with the passenger. And the car is pretty comfy for day to day driving.

Met a guy on a PCA cruise 2 week ago, he was at least 6'8" and he had to get a 996 Cab because he can't fit in a Boxster and needs to recline the seat back on his 996 to fit.

Miata / S2000 are both too small for me.

Last edited by ekam; 07-14-2010 at 06:49 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
986 is about the right size for me (6'2", 185lbs), meaning I'm not rubbing shoulders with the passenger. And the car is pretty comfy for day to day driving.

Met a guy on a PCA cruise 2 week ago, he was at least 6'8" and he had to get a 996 Cab because he can't fit in a Boxster and needs to recline the seat back on his 996 to fit.

Miata / S2000 are both too small for me.

You're talking about the size of the passenger cabin. That's not exactly the size of the car. I have alot more room in my Impreza and it's nearly the same footprint as my Boxster.

The Boxster would have the same accommodations if the trunks were smaller to make the car smaller.

I'm about the same size as you are, by the way, and I fit just about the same in a 2nd gen Miata as I do in my Boxster. I tried folding into a 3000GT once and it was very tight, and that's a huge car on the outside.

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-14-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
My Boxster is very obviously longer than by brother's Jeep Cherokee!
Well, Jeep does love their short wheelbases, heh.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
The Boxster would have the same accommodations if the trunks were smaller to make the car smaller.
Exactly, a good portion of the front of the car is that front trunk. They could have packaged the front radiators in a more compact way to shorten the front end. The rear could have been made smaller too. However, I love the trunks on the Boxster. They make the car very practical for a sports car, so personally I like the current design.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Exactly, a good portion of the front of the car is that front trunk. They could have packaged the front radiators in a more compact way to shorten the front end. The rear could have been made smaller too. However, I love the trunks on the Boxster. They make the car very practical for a sports car, so personally I like the current design.

Kirk
Amen, Kirk. It's definitely handy having two trunks with a decent amount of space for a car like this.

Totally off-topic, I find it totally awesome that you have a 914.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 07-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Totally off-topic, I find it totally awesome that you have a 914.

Hahaha... it's a fun little car, you just have to be patient (slow warm up, slow shifting, etc.). I've driven it to work all of this week. I often get comments on it as you just don't see many 914's on the road these days. The younger generation has no idea what it is. BTW, it has two trunks like the Boxster too and so is fairly practical.

Here's my baby:
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #13

the only time i think the boxster is "small" is when i happen to park it between family sedans...

Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Good point, Tony. Guess the car doesn't really need physical width when it's got wide rubber, though, unlike the fam sedan.

And Kirk, that thing is lovely, and as one from the older end of that younger generation, I do have a very high appreciation for something like a 914, and am horribly jealous, but in a good way.

If ya ever wanna sell...

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
the only time i think the boxster is "small" is when i happen to park it between family sedans...

Everything's getting bigger. Civics and Corollas now are bigger than Accords and Camrys were 15 years ago. Audis and BMWs do the same thing. It's a trend that sucks if you're a fan of light and responsive cars. Accords used to actually be fun to drive when I was a kid, toss-able even! Now they're closer to 2WD SUVs with trunks.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Hahaha... it's a fun little car, you just have to be patient (slow warm up, slow shifting, etc.). I've driven it to work all of this week. I often get comments on it as you just don't see many 914's on the road these days. The younger generation has no idea what it is. BTW, it has two trunks like the Boxster too and so is fairly practical.

Here's my baby:
Amen, Brudder. Amen
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #17
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Well, Jeep does love their short wheelbases, heh.
The Jeep's wheelbase is 6 inches longer than the Boxster but the truck is 3 inches shorter.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:

Kirk
I don't care if there's anything practical about my sports car. I want it to be designed for the enjoyment of driving and nothing else.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #19

Quote:
I don't care if there's anything practical about my sports car. I want it to be designed for the enjoyment of driving and nothing else.
If there's no front & rear trunks, where do I exactly store my guns and ammo when the zombies come?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #20
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
If there's no front & rear trunks, where do I exactly store my guns and ammo when the zombies come?
Everyone knows the best way to kill zombies is with a wooden stake to the head.