Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #1

Detailing question

I've got a tin of S100 wax (which I heard years ago when I got it that it's more or less the same thing as P21S wax, but cheaper) that, over the years (maybe 4?) has gotten dry. When used, the wax comes out in dry chunks, kind of like breaking off chunks of a dry deodorant in consistency. It's still usable, and still does a good job, but it's not so fun to apply anymore.

IIRC, it wasn't that way when I got it. Is there a way to soften it up a bit, some sort of mild solvent that could be added? In the alternative, is there a better way to apply it once it gets dry and flaky like this?

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #2

can you massage or stir it back into the original form?
Mauiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #3

Naw, I sure don't think so...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #4

Garage
you might be able to take all of it out put it in a bigger bowl and mash it all up. if its still too dry maybe ad some liquid wax? idk how that would affect the performance.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
S100 and P21S are the same. Pitch it and get another jar. Harley shops have S100 for around $15/jar.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #6

Carnauba is a bio product, well mostly depending on the purity....either way it aint going to last years and years. But if you are unwilling to lose man card points and toss in the towel you could dump the contents into a mason jar, add in some quick detail spray like a Mothers quick detail with carnauba (that way you know its carnauba friendly), heat it up (leave outside on a hot day, not sure I would take an open flame to it) and you will have the most expensive detail spray ever. You'll probably need a robust spray nozzle otherwise clogging could be an issue. I guess you'll have to put on your chemist cap on get just the write viscosity that will keep the carnauba in a liquid state which also means you'll have to spray a lot more of it than simply rubbing in a small concentrated amount of paste.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

Mother's sell carnuba wax two ways. In a bottle or in a can. The bottled version is the squeeze out onto a towel and rub style. The can is the old school dry puck. You moisten a towel or sponge with a little water, rub it into the puck, and then rub it onto the car.

Before throwing your wax away, you could take a little, mix it with some distilled water, and see if that makes it more manageable.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote