Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 06:41 AM   #1

Garage
Exclamation Console on a 2001 S

Hey guys,

The car I am looking at to buy from what I can see does not have the Front Center Console (as what I think it is called). Was that an option and the lack of it means the original owner did not order it?
I am asking as I do plan at one point to update the stereo on the car and I was thinking about placing a double din unit with Navi on it (like the Pioneer X910BT for example) what means the air conditioning controls would have to be moved somewhere. Or leave them where they are, remove the CDR-220/210 (whatever it is) and install the new radio on the center console (what probably means getting brackets, etc).
So as the car does not have it, is it a part that is easy to find/order and to actually put on the car?
What do you guys think? Is this plan doable? Anyone else around did the same, put a double din unit with Navi and moved all the other stuff to the center console?

Thanks!

CR

crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #2

Garage
Sounds as if prior owner added the Center console delete kit.

The options for installing a AVIC type GPS/Stereo is very doable as I and quite a few others have done before, search for AVIC and you will see quite a few with one member that sells the install kit for the double-din stereo.

Here is the link for install: Recent Install - DVD Navigation

Maybe ask if car has the center console that was removed or look online at a dismantler or eBay as they are pretty easy to come by.

Last edited by boxster6354; 03-22-2010 at 07:42 AM.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #3

Garage
Ok the owner has all that was in the car so it is just a matter of putting all back into place.
As I have never owned a Boxster I am not sure if the climate controls were originally on the top (dash) with the radio or if they were at the bottom (in the front center part of the console). If they were at the top, how hard is it to move them to the bottom so I can stick the Navi with the kit you pointed out on the other thread?

Thanks guys!

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #4

Very easy to move the items around in the upper and lower console. My Box was delivered with (from top to bottom) Cup holders, radio, CD holder and climate control.
It now orders climate control, storage bin, radio, storage bin.

You need a face plate to move the climate control, but they are inexpensive and readily available. The cables are also long enough, that it is not an issue.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #5

Center Console Options

This is my first post ever, but I'm motivated by this supportive group.

Thanks, jmatta! Your picture of your '02S inspired me. I needed to delete a cassette holder (very old school) from the console, and wanted more storage on my '02S. You made it sound easy, plus another contributor to the forum said all you had to do was yank out the old piece and insert the new. Spot-on advice. I opened the #1 and #4 cassette doors and pulled, not even that hard, and the piece popped out. I replaced it with a tray bought at the dealer, just pushed it in. Nice fit too.

I had a sweet little 914 back in the late 70's, but had to sell it. We were poor, over our heads. 30 years later, I have a perfect BoxsterS! It's a lot more car than the 914, more power, deeper growl. I am loving it, and now I have more space to keep my stuff.

Thanks everybody.

Sunshine State is offline   Reply With Quote