Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #1

Gloss/Matte Black or Gunmetal Forgestar F14'S?

I am slated to recieve my set of Forgestar F14's mid-June by CampioniShop. I ordered a pair of 18's in 8.5F and 10R. Previously, and currently, my vehicle was all black. I recently purchased a set of litronics and am contemplating two options; 1) all red tail lights, clear side markers, and gun metal wheels 2) black wheels (either in matte or gloss) and all black lights (which is my current setup) 3: black wheels (either in matte or gloss), clear side markers, and all red tail lights. I am including my most recent photograph in its present state. All input is greatly appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]

Also, I am including a photoshopped version of my vehicle with all red tail lights that a fella board member, Anim, was kind enough to complete for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a temporary setup until I purchase a set of Champion RG5's at the end of the year.

2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.

Last edited by Cartel; 05-12-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #2

I like the black wheels you have now. Let me know if you want to sell them.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

Gunmetal for sure, you need to break up the colors a bit (not just all black, unless you're batman).
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #4

I'm not sure that Gunmetal will look good on a black car. If you go black
I think you should go all black! Also try and go with a glossy finish. Here is a
pic of my rims that are gunmetal/glossy. Matte finish will look dull and if
you look at my pic, you will see what dull looks..... rims not washed.. no shine
don't look like much.

986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #5

I like option 3 with the gloss wheels.

If you're going all black it does have to be a matte black batman look!
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Boxster
I like the black wheels you have now. Let me know if you want to sell them.
Unfortunately, I hoard all spare and existing parts for my vehicle, right down to the bolts. These are bar none my utmost favorite Porsche wheels. Thank you for the interest.

Quote:
Gunmetal for sure, you need to break up the colors a bit (not just all black, unless you're batman).
I am seriously considering going this route. I agree in the name of contrast, which is why I am going all red tail lights to contrast the red calipers from the all black scheme until my wheels arrive in June. Thank you for your input.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Roadster
I'm not sure that Gunmetal will look good on a black car. If you go black
I think you should go all black! Also try and go with a glossy finish. Here is a
pic of my rims that are gunmetal/glossy. Matte finish will look dull and if
you look at my pic, you will see what dull looks..... rims not washed.. no shine
don't look like much.

Had it not been for the car included in the links below, I would have never considered going gun metal. But boy is she pretty, albeit a 987 on 19's.

http://www.forgestar.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=65

http://www.forgestar.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=67

I considered matte black wheels to contrast the soft top. Decisions, decisions.. Personally, I am a fan of gloss black. I might go ahead and have the finishing changed to gun metal and if I dislike the way it looks, have it powdercoated to gloss black. Only time will tell!

Quote:
I like option 3 with the gloss wheels.
That makes two of us! Thank you for your input.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #8

I love the lowered ride height of these cars, but how do you even get around like that? I would think you'd hit on every speed bump and parking lot entrance. I'm not even sure you'd clear road-kill !
Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
I love the lowered ride height of these cars, but how do you even get around like that? I would think you'd hit on every speed bump and parking lot entrance. I'm not even sure you'd clear road-kill !
Steve
Fortunately, driving out in the sticks from time to time I have yet to have an encounter with any road kill (fingers crossed)! Originally, I was lowered on springs and made the move to coilovers last year, and it has been worth every cent thus far. You learn to drive the car when it is lowered. Mostly through coming onto speed bumps or driveways at an angle. It has become second nature to me and I hardly ever have to put thought into it. I look forward to installing the the same aero kit 986Roadster is using, except with a lip.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #10

Loving all the Midnight Blue cars! Had to post my lowered one as well I've been thinking of going black on the wheels as well, but liking the conrast of how the silver looks, so not totally sold on it just yet.

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crios
Loving all the Midnight Blue cars! Had to post my lowered one as well I've been thinking of going black on the wheels as well, but liking the conrast of how the silver looks, so not totally sold on it just yet.

Your car is absolutely stunning. You could get by with black wheels, but ultimately, gun metal would look better, tenfold. Aero kit I or II?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #12

UPDATE

Inlcuded are two photographs of the vehicle with clear side markers, and all red tail lights. I am no longer purchasing a set of Forgestar F14's and I have I decided on a set of Champion RG5's within the next month or two.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #13

I generally like body and wheel color matched wheels on most colors except black.
The black rubber on black wheel just gets too muddled. Reminds me of a police car.
So I vote for gun metal. What I would prefer to see is a wheel that had combination of gun metal and silver. Like the 997 Turbo wheels where the wheel face is flat, the recessed parts would be gun metal and the top surface is silver...giving a dynamic 3-D effect of sorts.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #14

Siggy pic gives my opinion!

Here are more - http://picasaweb.google.com/KWullen88/BoxsterOZ#

Last edited by Quickurt; 06-29-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add link
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I generally like body and wheel color matched wheels on most colors except black.
The black rubber on black wheel just gets too muddled. Reminds me of a police car.
So I vote for gun metal. What I would prefer to see is a wheel that had combination of gun metal and silver. Like the 997 Turbo wheels where the wheel face is flat, the recessed parts would be gun metal and the top surface is silver...giving a dynamic 3-D effect of sorts.
The BBS RS/GT in Diamond Black were my FAV-O-RITES, but I couldn't justify $3500 for a set of wheels.
They are BBS's proprietary gunmetal with polished aluminum rims. Surprisingly, they were also much heavier than to OZ's I bought.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:06 AM   #16

Can't go wrong with the RG5s... although you might miss how easy it is to clean your carrera lights, or maybe you don't clean them at all because they're black.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:19 AM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Another vote for gunmetal...I hardly ever have to clean my wheels because they never look dirty. Lol

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #18

If you do go with the gun metal see if you can get the paint color matched and paint the side intake housing (not the slats) in the same color, maybe that shark fin thing directly in front of your rear wheels too. You'll probably have to do the same with wheel caps if you want a factory type finish.

For a previous car I once sent in a paint sample to a place called Tower Paint and they sent back a couple of aerosol spray cans with the same paint, I think it was like $20 a can. I used it to touch up the chips on the side view mirrors and a few other pieces after laying down an adhesion promotor from Autozone. The nozzle had a pretty good spray pattern so after a few light coats it looked just as good as the rest of the car.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote