986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Is this too hot? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25268-too-hot.html)

Mauiboxster 06-27-2010 02:37 PM

Is this too hot?

Seams a little higher than it should be.
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/DSC_0074.jpg

sparker 06-27-2010 03:17 PM

That's pretty hot for 5:39am?!
Sam

sasha055 06-27-2010 03:18 PM

Mine stays there a lot, when it's hot, in stop and go.. it goes to the middle of zero

Sasha

Mauiboxster 06-27-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparker
That's pretty hot for 5:39am?!
Sam

yeah, I disconnected the battery not too long ago and have not fixed it yet.

rick3000 06-27-2010 07:04 PM

Mine Boxster hangs right around there, and that is with clean radiators and no coolant problems. If it goes significantly past the zero then you should be concerned. :cheers:

Mauiboxster 06-27-2010 08:55 PM

Ok, thanks Rick,
I figured it was good but was not sure. So much to learn about my new toy.

I have such a long list of parts I want. Starting with wheels but I cant figure out which ones I want. I am thinking something in a gun metal color.

Steve Tinker 06-28-2010 01:02 AM

Don't worry about the spend on wheels - invest in the the Raby / LN Engineering low temp thermostat, plus replace the coolant - if you do, you won't see temperatures like that again (unless you spend a lot of time in heavy traffic).
I'll wager that the coolant (and oil) temperature(s) are above what you see on the gauge.....

dallison 06-28-2010 04:10 AM

it's a little higher than my s gets, but nothing too alarming.

The Radium King 06-28-2010 07:17 AM

hey mb, check out the oz alleggerita rims on tirerack.com; light, gunmetal and (relatively) inexpensive (for the weight).

jhandy 06-28-2010 07:21 AM

low temp thermostat and porsche coolent change, Highly recommend redline "water wetter"- 10$. It lowered my max temputure by 15 degrees.
Also if you are going to do the thermo, then I would also put in a new waterpump. It is bound to go out soon if it is original.

I have a scan tool that shows real time water temps. I was getting 225 on a regular basis. Now I only get up to 210 max, usally hangs at 202.

You must remove the bumper and clean the radiators, and move the front radiators to get to the junk inbetween the two.

I bought a radiatior comb for 2$ at auto store to fix the bent vains.

Mauiboxster 06-28-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhandy
low temp thermostat and porsche coolent change, Highly recommend redline "water wetter"- 10$. It lowered my max temputure by 15 degrees.
Also if you are going to do the thermo, then I would also put in a new waterpump. It is bound to go out soon if it is original.

I have a scan tool that shows real time water temps. I was getting 225 on a regular basis. Now I only get up to 210 max, usally hangs at 202.

You must remove the bumper and clean the radiators, and move the front radiators to get to the junk inbetween the two.

I bought a radiatior comb for 2$ at auto store to fix the bent vains.

Yeah, I did remove the front bumper and clean out the radiators but there was no change. I will try the other things to make sure it helps.

jhandy 06-28-2010 12:46 PM

they say lifetime coolent- but if it is original- changeing will not hurt. but keep in mind the coolent is a little expensive, so if you re going to change it, do the thermo, and also give thought to the pump.

if the fans turn on at 212 like they should, then I would just try water wetter.

keep in mind, your temp is more or less normal.

JTP 06-28-2010 08:00 PM

Mauiboxster, your reading looks normal. I went out driving today and air temp was around 100 degrees F. My gauge read about the same as your pic, went to the right edge of the zero in traffic. Turned on my AC diagnostics(not sure about accuracy) and coolant temp read 104degrees C (219F) was the highest that I saw.