986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Starting a stored Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25263-starting-stored-boxster.html)

Doug Barry 06-26-2010 02:47 PM

Starting a stored Boxster?

I've driven the car a few times over the months in an attempt to keep the battery healthy but that didn't work and had to use a charger for the battery. Now it won't start at all. I noticed that the low fuel light had was on but wasn't concerned as I was only driving about a block to get groceries. I thought maybe I had just run out of gas and put a few gallons into the tank but it still won't start.

The starter is trying to turn the engine over but it just won't fire.

Any suggestions?

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

blue2000s 06-26-2010 03:19 PM

Probably the battery. Could also be old gas but from your description it sounds like the battery.

Doug Barry 06-26-2010 04:37 PM

The battery is a little over a year old and I have a charger on it. The battery is strong and is turning the starter. I just put in fresh gas but is still not firing the engine?

Doug

blue2000s 06-26-2010 06:30 PM

Most auto parts stores will do a battery capacity test for free. That would be my first move.

Lobo1186 06-26-2010 07:32 PM

well if it is able to continuously turn the starter it isnt the battery.you can test for spark not sure how to do that on a box.

Lil bastard 06-26-2010 09:29 PM

Likely one of 2 things. As mentioned, bad gas... if you are very low in the tank, just fill it up and the old gas will get diluted.

Also, Porsche warns against running out of gas because you can run the system dry and the system may not be self-priming. In this case, you'd need to open the test port on the fuel rail and run the fuel pump by using a jumper wire to run it without the starter until you get fuel out of the rail. Then cap and try to start.

Cheers!

Doug Barry 06-27-2010 10:41 PM

Thanks for the advice every one.

Lil Bastard, what you're are suggesting is just plain scary. How can I find online how to do that?

Thanks again,

Doug

Dale Steyn 06-28-2010 03:17 AM

store it with the fuel tank full otherwise condensation builds up in the tank causing rust on the fuel level sender and inside the pump. also check antifreeze specific gravity to make sure the mixture is adequate to keep it from freezing. frozen water equals a broken engine block.

Doug Barry 07-24-2010 11:36 PM

Got her going! Drove he about 25 miles and every thing seems great! Thanks for the advice. I guess I just needed to put enough new gas to get rid of the old gas.

Doug