Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 AM   #1

Long time Porsche owner buys Aston Martin

A sad day for sure. My brother-in-law, who owned a 2002 911 4S since new, purchased his new car, a DB9 Aston Martin. He was in negotiation for a Panamera Turbo and the dealer let it go on a technical Canadian currency exchange problem. Long story short, the difference was about $10,000 for an owner who consistently came back for all service at Downtown Porsche in Toronto, so was an excellent return/repeat buyer. I have only been with Porsche since I purchased in Sept. '09, but so far the dealer network (at least in the Toronto area), doesn't sound like they have their act together or need the business. Time will tell I guess. As far as the new car goes, I drove it and it drives heavier than the Porsche, but has a ton of torque. Very well appointed inside and would have to say nicer than the Panamera (which is very nice).

boxsternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #2

Sad for Porsche but great for your BIL.

There's a silver Panamera parked outside my office every day now. I have to say it's probably the least impressive looking car for that kind of money I've seen in a long time. It will not age well. I don't think the Panera looks like it's even in the same big dollars category.
Right next to it is parked one of the R Jaguars. Now there's a looker. James Bond's publicity agent made a good choice. I'm sure if a DB9, which has arguably the best sounding engine start ever, made an appearance it would blow the 2 others away. Granted the Panera is the best performing, but it's still a GT and that's not a car you buy for 10/10th's hard right handers. If that's your priority (big, heavy and decent in a turn) then you need a Carrera Turbo. But the DB9 is still better looking.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #3

I personally fail to see the sadness.

An Aston Martin is one of the greatest marques of all time. Owning one would be a priviledge.

AM has a well deserved reputation for engineering excellence and performance spanning many decades. Their provenance is well earned at places like Le Mans, Brands Hatch, etc.

The sheer craftsmanship in these cars far exceeds that of any Porsche.

Brand Loyalty is a good thing, but not to the exclusion of everything else.

To your B-i-L, I say: "Well Done!"

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 06-22-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #4

I completely agree with Lil Bastard on this. Congrats to your brother in law!

I need more Cowbell!
Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #5

There is pro balla down the street that bought a white pana turbo and it is painfully ugly. He leaves it outside too which is funny, he used to leave his turbo cab out and I would tell him to keep it out of the sun (az) it obviously bothered me more than him, but the pana I couldn't care less.

Sorry Porsche. Greed has its drawbacks.
Douge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #6

I have to agree,there is no need to be sad, if anyone should feel sad it should be Porsche for making one ugly car. There is a Porsche dealer a mile from my house and I drive by it every day and see the Panamras thay have in the lot and on the road for test drives,The more I see them,the more I dislike them. To me thay look like Chrysler Pacificas.

A frend of mine just bought a 2007 Jaguar XK Coupe with 47k miles on it for $34,500 OTD. at the dealer.

He came over my house with it and let me take it for a spin and I must say the car is one sweet ride .I think the DB9 is based off of the XK platform.

Your Brother in law did well.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #7

Garage
I would take a panamera over an Aston for the simple fact that you can get it worked on in almost every city in the country. Not so with an Aston Martin. If you want four people you either get the Panamera or a Rapide. Comparing the DBs and the Panamera is not apples and apples. For a four seater I'll take the Porsche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCEUz-eGlFs

Last edited by landrovered; 06-22-2010 at 11:36 AM.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #8

What I like about AM is that they're always in a class of its own. You can never compare them to Ferraris, Porsches or Lambos.

Have a friend that owns a Vantage, and workmanship on the interior is excellent and second to none.

Last edited by ekam; 06-22-2010 at 12:55 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #9

I just wish I could afford either of them......
Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #10

The Aston is a beautiful car and even Jeremy on Top Gear was enthusiastic about it. We've had a fellow tracking his Panamera Turbo at DE events lately and I must admit, it is a very capable/fast car.

The Aston is pure sex appeal, however.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote