986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   remote control key wont lock or unlock (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25202-remote-control-key-wont-lock-unlock.html)

MANCGUYUK007 06-20-2010 11:13 PM

remote control key wont lock or unlock

tried presssing remote key wont open or close car atall any ideas ??????????????????????????????????????????????
porsche boxster 2.7 2001

Spinnaker 06-21-2010 01:08 AM

Do you have a spare key to try? The circuit board in the key may have gone bad. If the other key still works, then that is likely what happened.
I bought key at the stealership when I got the car 2½ years ago and kept it as a spare. When the button cover on the original key wouldn't stay snapped on, I got the new key out. I figured since I paid $250 for it, I might as well get some use out of it. It worked for a month and then the same thing happened to me, the buttons wouldn't activate the alarm anymore. Tried a new battery, and still nothing. The LED blinks fine. The old key works fine. Went back to the stealership to see if there was anything that could be done, since for all practical purposes, the key was nearly unused. They told me that since it was out of warrantee, there was nothing they could do. I would have to fork over another $250 for a new key.
To solve my problem, I took the circuit board out of the old key and put it in the new key fob. I keep the old key as a spare now, and buy all my parts as far away from the stealership as possible. Thank goodness for the Internet parts resources.

jotoole 06-21-2010 08:32 AM

reactivate remote key fob

Guys-
Bear with me a few minutes, I've reactivated key fobs several times, but I didn't take notes. One of these methods works, none do any harm.
Put your good (fob) key in ignition and turn right one click to activate accessories. Leave it in that position and close door, MAKE SURE key w/bad fob is in your hand!
Press and keep pressed the key fob button for the door locks and insert key into door lock keeping button pressed. Turn key in door lock as as you were locking then unlocking door 2 times, keeping button pressed. Release button and remove key. Manually unlock door and remove good key from ignition. Now shut door and see if fob works. If not, try various combinations of routine. e.g. unlock and then lock door 2 times. There are only so many variations on the theme. I just can never remember which. Within the last hour I reactivated my key using one of the combinations within 3 minutes.
I have to reactivate one of my keys every 6 weeks or so for this reason: When I drive my Boxster, I have Boxster key only, no other keys, in the ignition to minimize load on ignition switch. I use the Boxster key on my key ring, which carries all the other car keys, house keys, etc... to unlock my cars because I just about always have to have move cars around to get to the Boxster. Therefore my single Box key fobs rarely used to unlock. After 5 weeks or so, I have to reactivate fob buttons.
More info on Renntech.org. Search "remote key transmitter fix."

Log 06-22-2010 09:45 AM

Something similar like this happened to me... The button swith broke off the circuit board...I had to solder it back on.

jotoole 06-23-2010 04:24 AM

Broken key fob switch

Quote:

Originally Posted by Log
Something similar like this happened to me... The button switch broke off the circuit board...I had to solder it back on.

Had switch break off also, but it is so small I dropped it and lost it. Someone on one of these boards posted where you can get replacement switch.
Digi-Key Corp. www.digikey.com Part# CKN9193CT-ND. Package of 3 for $4.42 which included shipping. That was so cheap that I went to Amazon and bought what turned out to be the perfect solder iron kit for ~ $10.00.
I've seen other post where switch simply wears out.

choste11 09-16-2010 04:08 PM

I have the same problem that when I press the unlock button nothing happens. The red light doesn't even blink on the fob. THe previous owner said that the light was blinking at one point and then stopped. I have new CR2032 batteries in both fobs and both don't blink at all. Any ideas?

boxster1966 09-19-2010 10:34 PM

Can anybody confirm if a 97/98 boxster key / remote can be reactivated?

Mine just stopped working last week, no idea why, changed the battery, but no flashing of the dash led, checked the remote is transmitting on 433mhz using freq tester at work.

I only have one key, so unable to try a spare, don't want to shell out £260 for another key if i don't know why the old one won't reactivate.

Gary

sasha055 12-08-2010 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Resurecting the thread:)

I replaces my swithces and still not working.. I don't even get the key to light on.

Maybe someone can help me:
Does anyone know what is this white thing in picture (arrow)?
I think that when I was checking the voltage on both sides of "white thingy" before changing swithes I had contact in there.. now it's blank.. is it some kind of fuse?

I must've screw something up.. before the key was lighting up.. now it's dead:)

Thanks
Sasha

Dale_K 12-22-2010 06:17 AM

Reviving an old thread. Can anybody confirm the viability and correctness of these instruction? One of my remotes doesn't work but the led blinks when a button is pushed and I've put in a new remote battery. When I try to reactivate the inoperable remote with these directions I get a beep each time I cycle the door lock but the remote still doesn't do anything afterward.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jotoole
Guys-
Bear with me a few minutes, I've reactivated key fobs several times, but I didn't take notes. One of these methods works, none do any harm.
Put your good (fob) key in ignition and turn right one click to activate accessories. Leave it in that position and close door, MAKE SURE key w/bad fob is in your hand!
Press and keep pressed the key fob button for the door locks and insert key into door lock keeping button pressed. Turn key in door lock as as you were locking then unlocking door 2 times, keeping button pressed. Release button and remove key. Manually unlock door and remove good key from ignition. Now shut door and see if fob works. If not, try various combinations of routine. e.g. unlock and then lock door 2 times. There are only so many variations on the theme. I just can never remember which. Within the last hour I reactivated my key using one of the combinations within 3 minutes.
I have to reactivate one of my keys every 6 weeks or so for this reason: When I drive my Boxster, I have Boxster key only, no other keys, in the ignition to minimize load on ignition switch. I use the Boxster key on my key ring, which carries all the other car keys, house keys, etc... to unlock my cars because I just about always have to have move cars around to get to the Boxster. Therefore my single Box key fobs rarely used to unlock. After 5 weeks or so, I have to reactivate fob buttons.
More info on Renntech.org. Search "remote key transmitter fix."

Spinnaker 12-22-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale_K
Reviving an old thread. Can anybody confirm the viability and correctness of these instruction? One of my remotes doesn't work but the led blinks when a button is pushed and I've put in a new remote battery. When I try to reactivate the inoperable remote with these directions I get a beep each time I cycle the door lock but the remote still doesn't do anything afterward.

Tried the same thing with the bad "new" key and it did not work for me either.

Spinnaker 12-23-2010 12:08 AM

post deleted

jotoole 12-23-2010 12:58 AM

Someone sent me a PM a while back saying it didn't work for him, either. So I went out with my now inoperable key (which by the way is the car's original key) and went through the routine I described, and various other sequences. No luck. The only thing I can think of that is different is the much longer time period between attempts at the fix. Did not mean to mislead anyone and apologize if I wasted anyone's time. But it did work for me several times unless it was just several coincidences. Go figure.

Dale_K 12-23-2010 03:51 AM

Thanks for the answers, even though they are negative. At least the car came with one operating remote. I wonder if it's worth bothering to bring it up with the repair shop. I assume there is some kind of training or notification process with the car's security system when a new remote is purchased and maybe applying that process would make the non functional remote operable again. Maybe it's not worth the trouble if these remotes are known to loose their connection on a fairly common basis.

IMACMAN 06-07-2012 05:27 PM

KEY ISSUE SOLVED ( For Me )

Hello All.... My key remote just stopped working ( locking doors & setting alarm )... the Rear trunk remote button worked fine...but not the top lock button.... I read through the posts... ( and there are alot regrarding this )... I rad to post that LOG had wrote... and decied to check the key first.... BINGO!... when I opened the key ( and do this carefully ) the small micro switch that controls the locks & alarm had come completely of the circuit board. ( be carfe=ul as if the switch is completely off as mine was you can easily loose the switch. That said here;s the solution...

THE FIX:
• Heat up the soldering Iron & get some solder... alos get some Karazy glue.
• Pry the key along the edges it will pop open
• Carefully unsnap the circuit board...it has 2 or three tabs holding it.
• Turn the Circuit board over so you can inspect the switch, Mine was complety off and fell out

• The small micro switch has two tabs that have com loose... you may have to bed the tabs up almost flat against the switch so it will fit back down into the broken solder on each side.
• After doing this "Press/test Fit" the button to see that it seats well on the Circuit board. The small black dot in the center is the actual button, this should be facing up as you solder.
• Next take a a single drop of crazy glue and put it on the underside of the switch unit... the side that will touch the circuit board... this will hold the micro switch in it's proper place while you get your soldering iron ready. No glue will make it very hard to solder the microswitch in place... Gled in place makes it easy, and is another bonded point More = Good here

• Clean the Soldering Iron top, on a sponge... then you must heat both the Broken Tab and the table part left in the board... with a hot iron this will take maybe 3 seconds... you may see the original solder reflow... that mey be enough,,, if not ad a small drop of solder to the tabs and join them back to the board. repeat for both Tabs.... don't put too much solder on as it will run and cause issues by short circuiting other components... a tiny dab on each tab is good.

• Finally when putting it back together... you must insert the Circuit borad into the smaller key cover piece there are a few snap tabs that it fits into and snaps on. Next put the key together and make sure it is fully snapped.

When I first tried it.. the light came on the key for both the trunk release and the door lock..... I went out to the car and tried to lock the car with the key.... but it would not lock, even though the red lights were all flashing as is normal... So... I pressed the trunkmopen button on the key and that worked. I closed the trunk, and then tried the Lock Doors/ set alarm button and Voila it worked... heard the locks mannually lock then waited and wayched the tail lights flash twice.... Now a Happy 986 owner...

Hope this helps similar situations.

BTW..... found out that when the car is closed... if you out the key in the door, and turn it to the left & hold it... it it will roll down the windows about an 3 inches.... great time saver on a hot day. The can be rolled up the same way.......

PS... poured rain here today, and discovered that the 986 has intermitant wipers... If You push the switch down... I don't think you can control the frequency of the "wiper speeed /motion... but good to know it's there)

Cheers

IMACMAN

Swhitcomb 12-28-2013 07:29 AM

My remote lights up, but won't unlock my car. When I bought it, it would operate both trunks, but not the doors. I found the switch on the circuit board was broken. Fixed it, and when you press the buttons the LED lights up, however, does nothing in terms of locking of unlocking my car. Is there a reset or a way to get the car to re recognize the key?

steved0x 12-28-2013 08:38 AM

My main key just stopped working, tried new battery and reactivation procedure with no joy. if I take it to an autoparts store and try it on the remote tester machine, it shows that it is emitting a radio signal and the led flashes. Luckily my 2nd key works but I would sure like to get the main key working again. I'm watching this thread...

Steve

The French Dude 12-28-2013 09:05 AM

Good luck both of mine don't work properly... Lights up on both keys but nothing happens...

cellutron 06-05-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasha055 (Post 233315)
Resurecting the thread:)

I replaces my swithces and still not working.. I don't even get the key to light on.

Maybe someone can help me:
Does anyone know what is this white thing in picture (arrow)?
I think that when I was checking the voltage on both sides of "white thingy" before changing swithes I had contact in there.. now it's blank.. is it some kind of fuse?

I must've screw something up.. before the key was lighting up.. now it's dead:)

Thanks
Sasha

The white cylinder is a coil and is part of the antenna circuitry

cellutron 06-05-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale_K (Post 234402)

The process of 'wakening'the receiver, after a dormant period ( the car not the remote) involves locking and unlocking the door using the blade, then attempt to use the remote to operate the lock, which then disarms the alarm. This is not 'activate/ reactivate' -ing the remote or coding or fixing the remote.
Generally, after 10 yrs or so, the buttons deteriorate and the board starts suffering from dry joints- So a good reflow by a good solderer should sort out the problem. At times you find cracked components or RF modulator, controller chip/ processor going faulty and there isn't anything you can do to repair as you can't get hold of these and even if you manage to find them, you still have to do the recoding, etc. which is outside the realm of the average man! Even the crystal is not easy to find! So you end up forking out Porsches extortionate prices for a new one! Sad but true!

jpinder 09-09-2014 11:14 PM

circuit?

I bought a new remote key (entire unit; head and blank) online and had it cut. I put the little ID piece into the slot and it works well in terms of manual use.
However, I do not have the circuit. Is there anywhere I can buy a circuit online without having to spend the outrageous amounts at the dealership? I presume it can be installed into the new shell and programmed.
Thanks