Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #1

RADIO/Navi?

Hi
I'm looking for reccomendations for a radio with navi for my 99 box. I like to go larger than a din if possible. I've seen some pictures here of successful 2 din installs. Any pitfalls? How was cutting? Should i not do it? I could live with a 1 din chassis with a slide out screen but then my heat controls would be blocked.

Thanks all
Norm

99-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
mts

The double din systems tend to work best in the Boxster, not sure I've even seen a single din with a swing out screen in a Boxster before. Here's a pic of my Kenwood DNX-7140. Do a quick search as there's lots of info on these installs on this site and there's a huge thread about them(install pics/instructions/kits) at renntech.org. Just search "navigation" and it should pull up, it's 7+ pages long.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:01 AM   #3

Garage
I have also been interested in putting in a 2xDIN navigation system. I have read many of the threads, but have never heard how these systems work with the top down. Is your Kenwood screen effected, or is it still pretty easy to read in the sunlight?
Thanks.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
mts

I have no problems reading the Kenwood in the sunlight. However, the DNX-7140 allows you to adjust the angle a bit partly to address how you see it from the drivers seats. I've set it up to angle up a little, don't know how it would be if I left it flat.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #5

Just drove w/ top down 10 minutes ago

Beautiful day when you can drive top down in Florida...usually summer time it is just too hot to drive this car the way it should be driven...top down. If any of you have never driven top down with rain, it's not as bad as you would think. The air current that goes over your windshield at like 30+ mph actually stops rain from getting in the cabin...pretty nifty.

Regarding glare, I have no glare either from having my top down. The Pioneer Avic D3 has been good to me thus far and works great top up or down. Btw, we have textured, powder coated bezels now for our kits. Not sure if we will continue with this process after this batch is done but check it out below. Looks super stock now.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #6

99-986,
trieullionaire is your man for the double din kit.
You will also need to relocate your HVAC controls to the bottom oddments tray slot as seen in trieullionaire's pic. To do that, you will need this $5 piece: http://www.****************************************************.com/product/9965523390001C.html?Category_Code=POTEBXIN
Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts
I have no problems reading the Kenwood in the sunlight. However, the DNX-7140 allows you to adjust the angle a bit partly to address how you see it from the drivers seats. I've set it up to angle up a little, don't know how it would be if I left it flat.
Hey MTI, I have the DNX 7140 too. Have you tried hooking up the iphone to it via cable? It kind of annoys me that a message appears everytime for me saying "not compatible", even though music plays through it.
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #8

Included!

Thank you sir! Yeah we include the hvac relocation bezel w/ the kit along with all the major parts to get the job done. For the 97-02 models, it is pretty much plug & play. The 03-04 w/ Bose, well you just need to bypass the amp...an aftermarket amp is recommended.

Attached is a pic which reference how it works in the 9X7 vehicles w/ the Bose amp. We don't have a compatible adapter for the 9X6 MOST Bus (Bose) but the concept is the same, bypass amp and connect audio output signal(s) to the speaker wire harness that was once connected to the factory Bose amp.

You can use this same procedure for non MOST 9X6 vehicles as well if you want to use an aftermarket amp instead of the factory amp.

Btw, door speakers...I haven't done a search on this site for a while regarding how folks are replacing them. But I remembered a while back often times the baffles were removed to use aftermarket speakers. I found the easiest way was to actually use the existing baffle. To accommodate aftermarket speakers, the surface of where the speakers are seated need to be raised about 1/8 of an inch. To do this, I used neoprene (wet suit material) and traced the original speakers onto this material. Cut the traced out border and a circle large enough to slip from behind onto the new speakers. And voila, you can use stock baffle and existing speaker plug to connect your preferred 5 1/4 speakers in the doors.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #9

Oh BTW, you definitely should go for the 2-Din upgrade. Its slightly a hassle and you have to be sure of the measurements before cutting, but DEFINITELY worth it.

trieullionaire's picture should be enough proof!
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #10

So dont mess with a single din slide out?
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #11

Garage
+1 on trieullionaire's 2DIN kit, simple install with provided manual and high quality material.

I have the AVIC BT700, no issue with sun reflection as long as you have your day time running lights on, also brightness can be adjusted.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote