Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #1

Air Cooled Boxster

Just saw this on Ebay PORSCHE BOXTER GT3 RS

A little over zealous on the description but interesting car none the less. I thought you couldn't fit an air cooled engine in a Boxster

Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #2

Well, first of all the GT3 engine is not air cooled, but does share the air cooled, 356 bellhousing case of the GT1 motor, so perhaps that is what you meant.

However, there are all kinds of irregularities with the description of that car. A GT3 engine is either 3.6 or 3.8 liters, depending on year, not 3.4. A GT3 suspension will not fit on a Boxster, as the rear of the car is 996 based. Same goes for GT3 bodywork.

This car would also require a modified 911 gearbox with the ring and pinion flipped around, modified halfshafts, and God knows what mounting modifications to make it all fit.

All in all, I find it hard to believe this car is what the guy says it is, as anyone who successfully managed to fit a GT3 engine and gearbox into a Boxster would want WAY more than $18k for the car. Heck, it's hard to find a GT3 engine from a salvage yard for less than $20k.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

It has HAD 2 GT3 motors, but now looks like it's got a 3.4 M96. None of which was air cooled.

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-15-2010 at 02:36 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
It has HAD 2 GT3 motors, but now looks like it's got a 3.4 M96. None of which was air cooled.
I'm still not sure I buy the idea that it has had two GT3 motors in it, as again, that would require such a thorough re-engineering of the car it'd be foolish, if you ever got that far, to undo it.

Further, I like the use of the word "custom" to apply to everything- intake, intake manifold, headers, etc. All this work to the car, and no pictures of anything but the exterior? Sure...
Old 06-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Hmmmm, nice paint job. Rattle can blue???
Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #6

I asked the guy a few questions and here is his reply:

Hey Mike,
I did not do the motor swap, the previous owner did. But I did see one GT3 motor overheat. Coolant was everywhere and he later told me the block cracked. When I bought the car he had put in the 3.4 and said it was more safer to use on the street.
Exterior needs body work. The rear fender has been chewed up by my dog (dog was then given away). It has little scratches all over. It really needs a repaint. The side air vents need to be replaced (chewed). One headlight is missing this plastic piece which I just noticed.

Interior: Passenger door window stopped rolling down. Passenger floor there is cover for the crossover that needs to be glued down.

Mechanical: Car has check engine light due to engine swap. I think a brake line is damaged (but car seems to stop fine) I am not sure. Car does not have e-brake due to transmission swap. (that’s what previous owner said). Car is air cooled so need fans on front radiator (or car can overheat but if driven its fine). The A/C was removed and the motor for the convertible due to weight by previous owner. Im sure those things can be reinstalled again if needed.

Audio: Audio stopped working. Not sure why but maybe is fuse. I have no idea. I had the covers sent out to get fiberglassed but shop closed so needs new covers and rear needs to get fiberglassed. The made a small encloser for 1 sub and did not finish for second sub. It’s not complete.

As for pics when I look under the convertable top I just see the engine cover. Not much space to see anything else. Also car is very low so I cant see the underside. I can take pics whatever I can see if you like. Let me know.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut2u

Hey Mike,
I did not do the motor swap, the previous owner did. But I did see one GT3 motor overheat. Coolant was everywhere and he later told me the block cracked. When I bought the car he had put in the 3.4 and said it was more safer to use on the street.
Exterior needs body work. The rear fender has been chewed up by my dog (dog was then given away). It has little scratches all over. It really needs a repaint. The side air vents need to be replaced (chewed). One headlight is missing this plastic piece which I just noticed.

Interior: Passenger door window stopped rolling down. Passenger floor there is cover for the crossover that needs to be glued down.

Mechanical: Car has check engine light due to engine swap. I think a brake line is damaged (but car seems to stop fine) I am not sure. Car does not have e-brake due to transmission swap. (that’s what previous owner said). Car is air cooled so need fans on front radiator (or car can overheat but if driven its fine). The A/C was removed and the motor for the convertible due to weight by previous owner. Im sure those things can be reinstalled again if needed.

Audio: Audio stopped working. Not sure why but maybe is fuse. I have no idea. I had the covers sent out to get fiberglassed but shop closed so needs new covers and rear needs to get fiberglassed. The made a small encloser for 1 sub and did not finish for second sub. It’s not complete.

As for pics when I look under the convertable top I just see the engine cover. Not much space to see anything else. Also car is very low so I cant see the underside. I can take pics whatever I can see if you like. Let me know.

HAHAHA! wow...
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut2u

Hey Mike,

"More safer" huh. This guy is a complete moron who clearly knows nothing about this car, nor automotive technology in general. Last I knew air cooled cars didn't have radiators (not that this thing is air cooled in the first place). I'm sure the guy who allegedly did all this work to the car is an idiot as well.

I'd give him $3k for the car to part it out.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #9

yeah strikes me as kind-a odd that when an air cooled engine overheats you have coolant everywhere

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #10

Since the coolant is ....

... cooled by air, I guess it's an air-cooled car
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #11

Actually, creating a GT3 Cup inspired boxster with Cup flares and front end is a neat idea, I though about it myself.
Of course, the car would need to be powerfull and lightweight to back up the looks and installing a bunch of speakers, in-dash dvd and such defeats the purpose.
Im interested to see what kind of powerpland it really has.
If this car really is powered by a low mileage 3.4 m96 engine with a real dry sump, H/R coilovers, and the mentioned brake system - its not half bad.
The expensive part seems to be done already (engine, suspension, most of body work). Now - just a whole bunch of loose ends to finish
This thing sure is different from your average Boxster.
Good luck to who ever decides to buy it.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by al83s
Actually, creating a GT3 Cup inspired boxster with Cup flares and front end is a neat idea, I though about it myself.
Of course, the car would need to be powerfull and lightweight to back up the looks and installing a bunch of speakers, in-dash dvd and such defeats the purpose.
Im interested to see what kind of powerpland it really has.
If this car really is powered by a low mileage 3.4 m96 engine with a real dry sump, H/R coilovers, and the mentioned brake system - its not half bad.
The expensive part seems to be done already (engine, suspension, most of body work). Now - just a whole bunch of loose ends to finish
This thing sure is different from your average Boxster.
Good luck to who ever decides to buy it.
The "GT Cup Boxster" is a cool idea, but it would need to be done right. For practicality sake, an M96 engine is needed- just either build a 3.8 or think about a pair of turbos (I've had thoughts of twin turbos on one of my cars, losing the rear trunk for a GIANT intercooler), a built gearbox with LSD, fender flares, big tires, appropriate aero mods, suspension and brake upgrades, light seats, as much of a diet as possible (so no huge stereo), and you'd have a fun car.

My issue with this thing for sale is mainly that I don't trust a damn thing the guy says about it, since he clearly doesn't know a damn thing about it. If I could talk to the guy who built the car, and size him up as a non-moron, that might give me some interest in taking the project over to finish, but as it sits, I wouldn't touch the car, short of wanting to use it for parts.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #13

That’s true. I probably would not either. I’m just trying to give the seller some benefit of the doubt. Obviously he bought it as an unfinished project and now wants to get out from under it.
Big problem with using cup parts is that they were all (real and replicas) made with function in mind; easy to install and replace if banged up on the track, so getting a fit and finish of the stock car would take an enormous amount of body work. Clearly, by looking at panel gaps, they cut some corners on this one.
Going a little off topic here, but I just read the article about Hennessey Venom Gt (1200 Hp lotus Exige) and ideas started popping into my head. Now that would be one hell of a Boxster. Article link: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q2/2011_hennessey_venom_gt_more_details_first_one_sol d-car_news
Old 06-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #14

I suppose it is true that all engines are air cooled, eventually.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote