Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #1

Need to remove all trim on hard top

Just about to have my hard top resprayed black. Factory 986 with ear covers on outside aswell like to know if anyone has some photo's info on removing all the inside trim for respray and most important the two roof strip things with the rubber underlay in the grooves will deffinately have to be removed won't be painting over any rubber. Also is the hard top steel or aluminium? thanks for any info you can supply like to know what parts to remove first till last times not a problem just want it done in the correct manner..........Have all the torx keys ect.

Bellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Bellster,

I took the interior apart on my hardtop chasing down an annoying noise a couple of years ago. My recollection is all of the plastic trim pieces are held in with plastic fasteners. They are easy to remove and re-install, but may require a little force. There is a specific chronology you will have to follow when removing the interior panels, but you will figure it out once you start. Sorry I have no knowledge on the roof strips.

Here are a couple of pictures of the internals removed.

I believe the top is aluminum.

Best of luck.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #3

Bellster,

I was wondering, How do you remove the ear covers? Is a special tool required?

Thanks,
Mark
19" Rims (for show/bad weather)
17" w/Toyo R888's (for zooming)
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #4

Use a stiff putty knife with some tape covering the end. I used duct tape. I've got pictures, but I haven't labeled or uploaded them anywhere.

The Porsche factory manual has a section on taking the hardtop apart and putting it back together. (hint, hint)

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 06-11-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOfZero
Bellster,

I was wondering, How do you remove the ear covers? Is a special tool required?

Thanks,
Mark
No special tool for ear covers to be removed small opening on the bottom put a screw driver in and pop it out only held in by platsic clips two one side one the other. thats the easy thing to get off need to know how to remove all the inside trim and outer strips and rubber.....
Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #6

Still nobody out there knows how to remove the roof strips and rubber.
Thanks heaps for inside pic's ddb helping a bit...
Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #7

Hard top going to spray painters next week any help here please before it goes there and they just break everything trying to take apart or paint over rubber when they can't work out how to take off... :ah:

Last edited by Bellster; 06-16-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #8

Advice from other forum site only took one nite now hard top can go to spray painters tomorrow, just if anyone else would like to know here how to remove roof strips..

Roof strips pop right out - there are plastic clips (~4) under each strip that grip on threaded studs protruding from the channel under the strip. Replacement clips are cheap - plan on replacing them for reassembly.
Rubber is screwed on with each screw cleverly tucked under the folds of rubber. Some are real tough to find. Consider leaving the rubber in place and tape it. You can loosen it to better mask for painting...

I won't be taping anything everthing will be removed and respayed professionally.
Thanks again for you info ddb you helped heaps too m8........