Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

4 hours and $50 later

I know this has been covered before, but IMHO, a nice return for a few hours and a few bucks.

A few cans of paint, some sandpaper and a little elbow grease and......

Painted Bumperettes!

Pretty happy with the results from this less than amateur painter.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #2

Nice work! Great look for our a$$ ends. And "freshens up" a 986's look. Easier to detail is a bonus.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

hmm...do you have a link for that vendor? I just had my front bumper painted and a few days later I hit the driveway curb at too steep an angle which scraped the side of the bumper. This sounds like it would do the trick.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #4

Garage
Nice!

I like the groovy wave license plate, we need those in Georgia
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
hmm...do you have a link for that vendor? I just had my front bumper painted and a few days later I hit the driveway curb at too steep an angle which scraped the side of the bumper. This sounds like it would do the trick.
Don't you just hate that. My car had serious rash on all 4 wheels when I bought it. First thing I did was take it to a wheel restorer who said he could make them look like new for $600. Decided against it because I knew as soon as they were fixed, I'd ding them right back up.

Paint came from automotivetouchup.com. I also considered paintscratch.com.

I also did the bumper on my pickup truck with less than stellar results. Not sure what went wrong, but the finish turned out matte, not gloss.

Good luck with your project.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Nice job!

The rear of the car looks great, Gforrest2.

That motorcycle looks good too. It appears to have a lot of chrome. What kind is it? Any pics?
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2 View Post
Don't you just hate that. My car had serious rash on all 4 wheels when I bought it. First thing I did was take it to a wheel restorer who said he could make them look like new for $600. Decided against it because I knew as soon as they were fixed, I'd ding them right back up.

I also did the bumper on my pickup truck with less than stellar results. Not sure what went wrong, but the finish turned out matte, not gloss.

well if you are handy, as it is evident given your results, you can do the wheels yourself too. There was an Issue in Excellence that told you how to fill in the rash with a product called 'HALF TIME' (link below), and the same sort of spray you used for your wheels. The article showd you how create a cardboard enclosure so that to keep the paint of the rubber. There's also the second link which has been around for a while, I didn't have such great results using their filler.

http://www.sgcardetail.com/USC-21002--21004--21000-HALF-TIME-One-Step-Filler-And-Glazing-Putty-Prodview.html

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm
Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #8

Looks great. I may have to do this as well. Nice job and since I am an amateur as well i think I could do this. Great job.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #9

by the way, say someone rubbed up against you while parked and scratched your handwork. Is there enough paint left over to do this job again?

thanks for the link. You guys should check out the video on the automotivetouchup.com site.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:

Your bumps turned out fantastic.

If you want your truck bumper to shine, try wet sanding with 2000 grit paper wrapped around a sponge. Then rotary polish with 3M 5973 rubbing compound, polish then wax.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
The rear of the car looks great, Gforrest2.

That motorcycle looks good too. It appears to have a lot of chrome. What kind is it? Any pics?
Motorcylces were my passion before I got the Boxster. Now on a sunny day it's a tossup - car or bike?
The Boxster is every bit as fun as a bike on a nice day, with the top down and a twisty road ahead.

'09 Ninja 650R and '06 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

My main ride. Even though the Ninja is not a true sportbike, the riding posiition is just not comfortable for this old man
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #12

Quote:
by the way, say someone rubbed up against you while parked and scratched your handwork. Is there enough paint left over to do this job again?

thanks for the link. You guys should check out the video on the automotivetouchup.com site.
They told me a can would do about 6 sf. I applied 2 coats of the adhesion promoter and the can still felt full. 4 coats of primer and I used maybe 1/4 can. 5 base color coats and again, probably used 1/4 of the can. And 4 coats of clear coat. If I knew how to blend in new paint over old, I'd probably touch up all the rock chips on my front end with the leftover paint.

Oh, and buy the trigger adapter that fits over the can. Makes the job a whole lot easier.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
well if you are handy, as it is evident given your results, you can do the wheels yourself too. There was an Issue in Excellence that told you how to fill in the rash with a product called 'HALF TIME' (link below), and the same sort of spray you used for your wheels. The article showd you how create a cardboard enclosure so that to keep the paint of the rubber. There's also the second link which has been around for a while, I didn't have such great results using their filler.

http://www.sgcardetail.com/USC-21002--21004--21000-HALF-TIME-One-Step-Filler-And-Glazing-Putty-Prodview.html

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm
Thanks for the links. Yes, I did a few searches and read some tutorials on DIY fixes, including that second link you posted. Most of the results were quite good. I've got clearcoated aluminum wheels, so I can't really fill any divots. I did take a Dremel tool to mine and knocked down the real nasty spots but they still look like crap. I've had the car now for a year and a half so it doesn't bother me as much anymore. It's also a good excuse to get new wheels.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Now on a sunny day it's a tossup - car or bike?
Beautiful bikes! Deciding which to take out (the car or one of the bikes) on a nice day is a good problem to have. Thanks for posting the pics.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Your bumps turned out fantastic.

If you want your truck bumper to shine, try wet sanding with 2000 grit paper wrapped around a sponge. Then rotary polish with 3M 5973 rubbing compound, polish then wax.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I have enough paint left over to do it all again, but putting that bumper ('06 F150 plastic upper bumper cover) back on was a real PITA.

Before

After. Color match was pretty good but the finish is not as glossy as the rest of the truck.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
If I knew how to blend in new paint over old, I'd probably touch up all the rock chips on my front end with the leftover paint.
You could take the bumper off...let me know if you do it, I would like to know how it turns out

I would love to learn to paint, I know it can't be that hard.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #17

Quote:
I know this has been covered before, but IMHO, a nice return for a few hours and a few bucks.

A few cans of paint, some sandpaper and a little elbow grease and......

Painted Bumperettes!

Pretty happy with the results from this less than amateur painter.
what kind of rear bumper is that???
myn8m3is8ndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #18

Stock bumper from an 03-04 model boxster.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #19

Quote:

HALF TIMEŽ One-Step Filler & Glazing Putty

BMWTips wheel-scuff repair
I'm surprised Excellence recommended using 'half-time' as it's meant to be used in very thin layers for filling pinholes in bondo as a final step before priming. And while I can accomplish whatever I wish with bondo, I to have never had great results with half-time- It cures to a VERY hard surface which makes it difficult to sand and feather. Once you break through the 'skin' it's soft and sands away too fast. It is the last thing I'd use for wheel rash.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
Stock bumper from an 03-04 model boxster.
oooh, will an 03 bumper fit an 02 ?? the 03 bumper looks so much cleaner than my 02

myn8m3is8ndy is offline   Reply With Quote