Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #1

closing driver's window, sometimes goes back down

so for the past 6 months or so, my driver's window has been acting up.

if i push the window switch to roll it up it'll go a few inches then automatically go back down - usually, but not always (40% of the time maybe). same when latching the soft top. the passenger window never does this and always works. when using the key in the door, turning to close the windows same thing, whether the car is on or off, top is up or down, running or not...

once it's up it doesn't drop and i can go down the road with it up and the top down no issues...

i'm leaning towards the soft-top microswitch, but part of me thinks if that were the problem then both windows would be acting up not just the driver's side.

my other thoughts are the actual window button in the console or the window motor itself.

anyone else care to weigh in?

Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #2

Sounds so much like my problem. But mine is more consistent, happens to both windows by the same amount, and only when the top is closed.

I read somewhere that your symptoms could be the microswitch at the door handle that is going wrong / stuck? Think suggestion was to use the key on the door, turning to lock and hold for a few seconds, then turning to unlock and hold for a few seconds, and do this a few times.

I'm starting to hate relays, so you might want to try pushing all the relays under the right side footwell to make sure they sit in tight.
mafiapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #3

Hi tonycarreon,
Would you like to try something I'm currently trying out?

With some advice from Maurice, a regular from renntech and I think under a different nick here, I have removed fuse B6.

This disables the convertible top, and so I suspect the entire top relay. Not sure if this will fix your issue, but could be a short cut to prevent the windows from dropping during a rainstorm! Haven't really tested it, but will update you.

When you want to put the top down, simply insert the fuse again. Much easier than taking out the double relay imho...

Cheers!
Peter
mafiapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiapete
Hi tonycarreon,
This disables the convertible top, and so I suspect the entire top relay. Not sure if this will fix your issue, but could be a short cut to prevent the windows from dropping during a rainstorm! Haven't really tested it, but will update you.
yeah i've seen posts from people whose windows drop unexpectedly, but that's not my problem. my problem is that it starts to roll up then goes back down, like something has interfered with it or it the anti-pinch feature has kicked in.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #5

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
if the window regulator is starting to bind, the window controller could see that as a pinch condition and reverse the motor.

try this: roll the window up and grab the top of the glass and pull up at the same time. you're lightening the load on the motor. you might have to try a few times with increasing amounts of pulling tension. if it goes all the way up then you know what it is.

probably need a new cable/regulator assy and window guides.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #6

I have a similar problem with my passenger window. When I open the door from the outside of the car, the window drops a good 5 inches.

When I try to raise the window, it starts to go up, then goes back down while I am still pressing up on the window button. I have to release the button and immediately hold it down again to get the window up. It is making a terrible sound- almost like breaking glass, but I know it is not.

I've been told that I need a new regulator...

I need more Cowbell!
Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #7

I am having similar issues with my driver side window. First it wouldn't roll down when I went to open the door and would get hung on the top. Now it makes a crunching sound and rolls its self down when it is fully rolled up or when I close the door. Taking it to the shop on Monday.
CP711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #8

Sounds like a classic problem with the regulator. Porsche quoted me $600 to do mine, I did it myself for about $140. If you go down this to route make sure you disconnect the battery before you unplug the airbag and reconnect it after you have plugged it back in. If you don't do it this way you will get an airbag fail light which can only be switched off by a PST2.

Follow the regualtor changing instructions on pelican parts.

BMAN_986 is offline   Reply With Quote