986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Caught with my Pants Down (i.e Conv Top) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25072-caught-my-pants-down-i-e-conv-top.html)

stephendoherty62 06-08-2010 05:43 AM

Caught with my Pants Down (i.e Conv Top)

Any advice apart from the obvious. My 2001 Boxster S, 65,000 miles interior was drenched in a storm, Leather Seats are destroyed, the carpet is molding, and told by the dealership that the Theft Module needs replaced. The dealer has given me an insurance quote of $10,500 to replace. The KBB value quotes ca. $15,000. The adjuster says that if the cost goes over a certain point that it would be totaled (Write-off), I can get to keep the car if I accept a check for $9500, I am thinking about taking the check from the insurance and fixing myself for under $2000. Does this sound like a good idea? Are there any other electrical problems I should be aware of down the line?
Any advice would be very helpful

Steve

crod 06-08-2010 05:49 AM

Well if you know the car history well (what I assume you do) and if you take the $9,500 and keep the car, that money buys a lot of parts at any good Porsche dismantler! I am sure you can get new seats, carpet and everything else way under that amount. You can probably replace the clutch, RMS, IMS all with that money. :D

Seriously, I would really check what the dismantlers have and if you can fix it yourself for way less than what you are getting, I would probably keep the car (assuming again that you know the car is mechanically sound, etc).

CR

FUHRIUS 06-08-2010 08:36 AM

sounds like a track car...

or, fit a spec boxster guy who's just gutted his car and get all the interior trim pieces from him (look on rennlist)...then buy some nice seats and you're ready to roll.

OR, keep the $9500 and sell the car for $10-12k to someone who doesn't care about the interior...like me...I'm taking my interior bits out of my '01 S to lighten it up for the track. and let me tell you, there cars are BEAUTIFUL track cars.

well, hey, here's an idea...you could buy my interior! ;-)

Wingnut2u 06-08-2010 09:16 AM

$10-12k on the resale might be a "little" optimistic but if you keep the car I would be interested in purchasing it (for the right price) as I am looking to make a track a car.

The $9,500 seems a little low from the insurance company I think I would try and push that number a little higher. My guess is that a salvage yard is not going to pay the insurance company $6,500 but then again I could be wrong

Mike_Yi 06-08-2010 01:33 PM

The Spec Boxster idea is the way to go.

Wingnut2u 06-08-2010 01:58 PM

unfortunately you can't make it a true spec boxster as to able to race in that series your car would has to be a 1997-1999 with a 2.5l engine

the other down side is that car will have a salvage title

Banana S 06-08-2010 02:15 PM

There is also a guy on Rennlist whose buddy just had an IMS failure and he's considering selling the car for $3,500 or so.

Link: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/571863-whats-it-worth-2003-boxster-w-ims-failure.html

Take the $9,500 insurance check, buy his car, put your engine in it, sell your shell of a car to a dismantler (who won't care about the salvage title anyway), profit. (And no salvage title for the car you're left with.) :cheers:

stephendoherty62 06-09-2010 09:12 AM

But this will not have a salvage title even if I take the $9500. It is deemed a partial loss which is the same on paper as a Dent. Basically, I was thinking about replacing the damaged interior, ie Carpet, Leather Seats, Visors and Theft module. It sounds like I could do that for around $1200 to 1500 for the used parts. Now the question is, can I use a used Theft module and have my key reprogrammed to it? Also, will a pair of 2004 seats fit in a 2001 car.

Steve

Aron in Toronto 06-09-2010 10:28 AM

Yes all 986, or 996 seats will fit your car. It will be simpler if you are replacing the the same optioned seats for similar. Example replacing seats full power with full power seats, memory seats with memory seats, or heated for heated, but probably not too difficult to adapt non matching optioned seats.

As others have mentioned look for Spec Racers who are selling off their stock interiors for good prices.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/528321-fs-just-gutted-boxster-for-a-race-car-and-have-a-ton-of-parts-most-in-new-condition.html

Post your general location and someone local to you may have the parts you need w/o the hassle and cost of shipping.

Also lots of seats and carpet sets on eBay.

Can't help with the module, as I don't know whats involved with mating up a new or used one to to your car.

Aron

jcb986 06-09-2010 10:58 AM

The alarm module will need to be done by the dealer, it's about $1500 and you get new keys to match. The interior is not that hard to do. The dismantler is a great place but check here, Rennlist or Pelican Parts BBS boards for guys who have changed out the seats, etc. Save big bucks. Change out the interior first before having the dealer fix the alarm...they then can reset all your codes. :cheers:

Paul 06-09-2010 04:58 PM

The alarm module can be programmed with a PST-2 or PST-3 once you get the learning code from the dealer or from someone who access to IPAS. (must have the VIN from the donor car.)

The keys can also be programmed to start the car, but if you want the remotes to work you will have to buy new remote heads with the codes needed to program them. Unless of course, you have the original ones (small piece of white cardboard with a barcode on them).

There are board members in your area with the ability to do this.

stephendoherty62 06-10-2010 04:23 AM

With the known problems that I have, ie carpeting, Alarm module, car seats, I have a stock 01 S with 66,000 miles, the RMS and Sparks Plug seals leak a little, only mods are the chipped ECU and it is de-snorkled.
I would like the car to be a little faster, I have $9500 to spend, what should I do?

Cheers
Steve

Ruby 06-10-2010 09:23 AM

Saw another water logged '03

in the service bay at a local dealer about 6 months when I was picking up a part. It was an '03 that had clogged drains and the car filled up after a storm. When I saw it the interior was totally gutted and they the dealer was waiting for a wiring harness from germany.
I recall the insurance estimate was just about the same at $10M but they would not total the car based on MY.
At least you have options.

23109VC 06-10-2010 09:31 AM

instead of buying new seats - would you be able to take your seats to an upholstery shop and get them to redo them? i wuld think all the structural stuff is okay and you just need new foam/leather...

doors can be recovered, as coudl the dash...

i would look into car resoration places and high end upholstery shops taht redo nice cars..maybe they would quote youa good deal for a nice job?

anothe rpotin is to just let the car GO and take the biggest check they get you and go car shopping... buy the best car you can and add some of your own money and get an even newer/better boxster??