Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

Garage
putting my life in my own hands...

So as the title describes im thinking of doing something very... idk dangerous but not necessarily.

I would like to take apart the seat belts and replace the fabric with some nice shiny new red ones. I know its probably not recommended... but I figure its quite doable.

has anyone done this? besides a misassembled seatbelt are there any other risks?

heres one idea for a color...

this link is for color not for a place of purchase

here are some others... i do like the red...

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I haven't done it, but I have read that it isn't very hard, just a few screws. Just make sure you disconnect the battery, so you don't trigger a seatbelt warning light. Safety lights can't be reset with a regular code reader. And just torque everything correctly and I doubt you'll have a problem. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #3

Garage
i guess what I really want is to just replace the web belt as it disassemble the mechanism and put in the new belt and then re assemble... is this even possible?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #4

on old seat belts there was a coiled band the did the retracting and it was some thing out of an old kung fo movie if it came out and cut you
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #5

Garage
that is the sense iam getting by looking at pictures of random dismantled belt retractors... i wish I had one to tear apart... anyone have one lying around?

if not ill just have to find one. to disect. i remember seeing some red ones on LAPD but they wanted some outrageous amount for them. so im here... lol
Old 06-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #6

if/when you start to fiddle with it, please remember that there is an explosive charge inside the seatbelt mechanism (a.k.a. the tensioner).
IMHO I would not do it, too risky
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I though you where talking about a direct swap, I would be very hesitant to take apart the tensioner. Have you seen these, there $450, but I think they come with the tension attached.

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/BoxsterBeltSet.html?Category_Code=986seat
Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #8

Garage
indeed. ive found some tips to deal with flying spring aspect. but i wont fiddle with my actual belts. ill practice on a spare if I can get one for a good price.

we will see if i can get one ill call around tomorrow and try to do a DIY.

I did see the suncoast ones but to be honest 450 dollars is not even on my radar for this mod. i dont see the point its just red! but if I can figure this switchout i can get it done for somewhere around 40ish dollars. maybe more if i have to buy a practice used belt from LAPD or something.

any more input...light to guide the way?

Last edited by Lobo1186; 06-07-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
on old seat belts there was a coiled band the did the retracting and it was some thing out of an old kung fo movie if it came out and cut you
+ 1

I tried once too, and messing around with the retracting mechanism is not longer on my repair capability list.. lol
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
+ 1

I tried once too, and messing around with the retracting mechanism is not longer on my repair capability list.. lol
maybe its a guy thing...whenever we see a warning "DO NOT REMOVE" we remove it
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #11

Garage
haha thats funny. luckily i have messed with those springs in the past... and while im no kung fu master, I have tamed one or two. hopefully, I can do the same here. Again im just looking for an old seatbelt. so if anyone has one or knows of someone with one lying around for a cheap price (free would be best that way if it doesnt work im not out money) that would be great.

I already posted in the spec boxster forum at nasa... im sure they consider these uselless so hopefully one of them will have some lying around. maybe ill contact brad roberts.

BUT IF IT WORKS. I promise an in depth DIY for everyone.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #12

Garage
I replaced one on a late model F150 that my dog chewed through when I left her in there for a few minutes. The assmbly from Ford was over $200. I remember being a little shocked about that. Anyway, it was pretty easy and took half the time I was expecting. My Boxster's drivers side belt does not retract very well and I'd like to do something to resolve it. Post your diy if you do this job!

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
I replaced one on a late model F150 that my dog chewed through when I left her in there for a few minutes. The assmbly from Ford was over $200. I remember being a little shocked about that. Anyway, it was pretty easy and took half the time I was expecting. My Boxster's drivers side belt does not retract very well and I'd like to do something to resolve it. Post your diy if you do this job!

sean
well it looks like i got my hands on a set of seatbelts. ill get them in the next few weeks and then ill begin :dance:
Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #14

Garage
So I received my seat belts and have begun the process or dissecting them and seeing how it is that they work. Good news is it should be a fairly simple little project. bad news is that I already destroyed one of my spares in the process.

but to give you all an Idea of the ease of this project. all you have to do is pull the belt all the way to its full extension. then if you keep it from rolling back up you can slide the end of the belt out.

So all I will have to do is get the new red seat belt fabric put on the old hardware (buckles and hangers and anchors) then put it on the spindle. so in reality you don't have to take the spindle or the re tractor apart.

if that was the case it would be an exercise in futility. that is how one of them broke already lol