986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Any idea how to fix a switch to cabrio relay? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/25061-any-idea-how-fix-switch-cabrio-relay.html)

mafiapete 06-07-2010 07:43 AM

Any idea how to fix a switch to cabrio relay?

Hi All,
I've been lurking here for sometime after my 986 purchase almost year ago. It's a 1997 986 2.5litres right hand drive. Love it to bits! Great source of info at this site btw!

However, I've been hit by the dreaded intermittent dropping windows when the cabrio top is up for quite some time. I've tried tightly securing and cleaning the latch microswitch as per advice in previous threads, but it seems to happen again after some time. Most recently, I epoxy'd the microswitch to the latch recepticle, but it doesn't help despite being firmly in place. Just short of changing the microswitch itself....

Now I'm thinking of extreme shortcut measures!

I've noticed that the windows do not drop when I remove the cabrio relay, only trouble is, I can't put the top back down until I plug it back in.

To save the hassle of doing this manually, I want to connect a switch from the power supply wire that feeds the cabrio relay so that I can flick it to simulate removing the relay, and putting it back by turning on the switch.

Will this work? If so, any clues which wire I should splice the switch to? Using a multimeter, there seems to be 2 supplies at 13.5V and 1 supply at 12.5V.

Got the wiring diagram online, but can't make sense of it.

Also, before I do this drastic action, will there be any side effects?

Thanks all in advance!

Pete

Burg Boxster 06-07-2010 07:57 AM

personally, I would just change out the microswitch. Why add another switch? Plus you'll have to remove the fuse panel, then the relay panel to access the back side to add second switch for top.

Only two adverse effects I can think of:

- no window drop when opening closing doors w/ top up which you already experience (be very careful w/ passengers just slamming it shut w/o tucking it under lip.)

- cabin motion detector in alarm circuit might not be active (same as when car left top down w/o)

Again though, replacing microswitch will be about 1/20 the effort AND will not create two new problem...

mafiapete 06-07-2010 08:56 PM

Hi Burg Boxster,
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm hesitant about changing the microswitch as not sure if that's gonna fix it.

The relay's not difficult to get to, in fact, the panel is already on the floorboard. But like you have warned, another friend who knows about such stuff said he would rather I not fiddle with the relay wirings. But I'm really quite keen to figure out how to put the switch actually... :o

What's the best solution for me then? Anyone can advise?

Cheers!
Peter

Mark_T 06-08-2010 05:19 PM

+1 on changing the microswitch. If that doesn't fix it, keep hunting for the correct solution.

Forget the Heath Robinson approach. This isn't a tractor you're working on here.

mafiapete 06-08-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T
+1 on changing the microswitch. If that doesn't fix it, keep hunting for the correct solution.

Forget the Heath Robinson approach. This isn't a tractor you're working on here.

hahahaha!! Good one! :D :D

Thanks for the advice guys! Will get hold of a new microswitch later on and update this thread. At worst case, I'll send it to the Dealer to have a go at it, probably cost a bomb though.

I also get the feeling it could be the relay itself. A bit more background into the problem. When I unlatch the top, my windows do not come down the 2-3", it drops just a little, same amount as when opening the doors, thought that was normal at first.

Then I bought a SmartTop, and that makes the windows drop the 2-3". Unfortunately the SmartTop module couldn't work for my car, and had to return it. The top wouldn't operate after it was fully opened or closed. According to the manufacturer, my boxster (first batch of 10,000 units) had a unique wiring for the cabrio, and he couldn't get his hand on one to develop a module for my car.

After that I went back to the dealers and they fitted 97-00 relay they had in stock, that didn't work. So I'm thinking the the SmartTop chaps got it right.

Oh yes, I opened the trim around the windscreen, and noticed the wires to the microswitch had been cut and twisted back again for some reason, so maybe a wiring issue too?

Electrical troubleshooting is such a b*tch... lol!