Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #1

Spyder.

I have to say. The more I see posts and photos about the boxster spyder the less I like it. The humps are ugly and ricey, there is not enough tire on any of the new models with 19's, the top flat out sucks, the door handle/pull is stupid and is just a gimmick. They should have been original and stuffed a 997.2 gt3 motor in it. If they wanted to save weight on the car instead of the dumb ass roof they should have gave it a loud exhaust and saved all the weight there. They should all come standard with ceramic brakes too. I don't care if all this would make it out of the price range for the boxster market people. They would unleash a new breed though. Something in the lambo/ferrari range that would piss a lot of people off.

In closing. Put together a boxster with real door handles, a 450hp engine with some beefy brakes and some gt3 suspension and make it loud as hell. Oh and some PDK for me. Not everyone is a fan of PDK but bring on the paddle shift. It would be a wake up call for all the people who feel the need to buy a carrera just for the higher price tag status.

I understand all the people that will not be on board with this post.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #2

JAAY, Nice rant and frankly I concur with most of it. Porsche should have made the top similar but motor-less, perhaps weight could have been saved in the frame too. The model name is too long and looks like a novel stretched across the small trunklid. As far as the tires, maybe unsprung weight becomes an issue as you keep upsizing. Granted, I don't have mega hp to put down to the pavement but I'm happy with 17". Lastly, Porsche slapping limited edition on a lot of cars in the last few years based on cosmetics is about as disingenuous as putting "GT" after the word "Sunfire". Maybe they need not go as radical as you proposed but IMO, a true limited edition of anything should "******************** and Get" when contrasted to even the S model.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #3

Thumbs down

I wouldn't buy one. I would buy the base model Boxster and do the mods myself with
my own taste. I don't like the roof line.... looks dumb. The back rear
hump fakes look nothing like the Carrera GT. I don't like how bare and
plain they look. Maybe they should of copied the GT look... Put some carbon
pieces or some kind of mesh.

Not a fan.
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #4

I don't like the top, humps or door pulls.

I'd like to see PCCB and PSE standard, and more than a meager 10hp advantage over the S model, and back to the auto soft top with glass. I could see after a year of ownership, the plastic would be scratched all to hell considering you have to fold it up and store it like they show.

Porsche will never do the engine or the car would blow away most, if not all 997.2 models.

I like the suspension set up, but could argue that the optional PASM on the S model would be pretty close to it.

Overall, I think the Spyder is cool, but like you, the more I look at it the less I would opt to purchase, but when it came out, I was seriously thinking about trading up.

After some thought, I would now go for an optioned S like mine...But by doing so, I would have a monthly payment from hell and what I already own is 90-95% the performance of the new ones. Just my 2 cents.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #5

You should read the Boxster Spyder vs Cayman S track comparison in May's Excellence. The BS (great initials!) was instantly quicker from lap one than the Cayman S despite not having the PDK advantage. The author went as far as saying it was the best handling Porsche in the whole line up. Shaving weight was crucial in that effort.

Usually these special editions Boxsters and Caymans are just marketing gimmicks but the track says otherwise this time around. Although the pricing is questionable but even the '09 GT3 RS guys will say the same.

WHile no one will pass up more more power, that's not really the point of a Spyder. I've driven small cars with massive power and well its pretty one dimensional from a driving perspective. There's a certain power to weight ratio that feels natural on a two seater that shows off the suspension, weight balance, steering and braking. Put in a tad too much power and it all comes out of wack, too much oversteer, jerky handling. I don't think most people understand that there are many types of sports cars, the Boxster isn't just a coupe that had the roof hacked off. In actuality I think the 996 Carrera was a roadster that got a fixed roof and bigger butt. The Cayman came without the bigger butt.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-12-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
educator

I think it's a great weekend car if you can afford it. I'd buy two
Old 05-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #7

How much does the roof assembly weigh? anyone know? I can't believe they removed the AC, roof assembly, radio, functional door handles, and only saved 150lbs. And then they charge more for that? I'm confused.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #8

"I can't believe they removed the AC, roof assembly, radio, functional door handles, and only saved 150lbs. And then they charge more for that? I'm confused."

I didn't even get into all that.....

I did read the excellence comparison. Still not worth it to me. I like the fact that if we decide to hit the track I can put the a/c on and radio on the way there. I am glad I am not the only one with some of these feelings.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #9

[QUOTE=JAAY]"I can't believe they removed the AC, roof assembly, radio, functional door handles, and only saved 150lbs. And then they charge more for that? I'm confused."

I didn't even get into all that.....

I did read the excellence comparison. Still not worth it to me. I like the fact that if we decide to hit the track I can put the a/c on and radio on the way there. I am glad I am not the only one with some of these feelings. [/QUOTE]

Look at this:

Carving through the tight and twisted sections of Highway 1, we find that the reduced weight of our six-speed-manual Spyder—at about 3000 pounds,

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q4/2011_porsche_boxster_spyder-first_drive_review

Haha I think my 98 is lighter with ac, power top and windows...

-
Weights: curb weight (kg) 1,280
Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
After a few quick laps at Fontana last weekend... Did I like it? Yes I did. Did I place an order? No sir.

The Boxster Spyder is a special edition and really only suited for a select few of us who appreciate a pure German roadster and just have too much money. It is simply not practical to take to work, leave it parked at the beach for a day or short weekend trips. Ferry Porsche would probably appreciate your sentiments though. It was those same feelings that caused him to build the 356 in the first place.

My impressions? I like the look although it's a bit overstated with the humps. The power/PDK is marvelously balanced with lots of low end torque compared to my car. It is very quick out of the corners. The brakes are excellent, the suspension is firm but not punishing and extremely well balanced. Did I mention the car is very balanced? The Spyder is definitely more Mozart than Sammy Hagar. With a decent set of track tires you should easily dispatch all other production Porsches except GT3s on most tracks. A nice roadster for a select few buyers.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #11

this will be the only boxster worth money down the road. It is more exclusive than you think I do not see many being sold. they will not sell many in colder climates like New England. I think the car looks badass. They should have made some sort of carbon fiber hardtop for it to make it more useable that cloth top is a joke!
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #12

I think the humps look lame, those bright red hooks for that useless top look stupid - why bring attention to that? The stripe is needlessly gaudy and overdone looking. It's just ugly and ricer-ish. It may have more power but I like my 99 better.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #13

I think the original concept was there, then some production genius took over and squashed most the good ideas. 150 lb weight saving is nothing close to what I imagined. You can save that weight easily with any "common" Boxster by removing all the unnecessary items. Get the car around 2500lbs, then we may have something.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #14

When I saw it in pictures on release day, I thought it looked rather well...

Well three days ago I saw one in the flesh, and my opinions did a 180. There was a new GT3RS parked next to it, and being the same sort of car (stripped out weekend racer type) I thought the GT3RS looked much better. What's more, the RS still has air-conditioning and proper door handles standard.

Granted the GT3 costs way more, I still think Porsche would have been more successful if they concentrated more on reducing stock Boxster weight, but alas car companies don't do that.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I think the original concept was there, then some production genius took over and squashed most the good ideas. 150 lb weight saving is nothing close to what I imagined. You can save that weight easily with any "common" Boxster by removing all the unnecessary items. Get the car around 2500lbs, then we may have something.

If you take a stock 986, and used some of the same principles, as you said one can lighten it themselves. Change the seats, get the lightest wheels possible, change the exhaust, run with only a half tank of gas and you have already knocked some weight off using some of their same philosophies, as you said their reduction numbers are not eye popping. Speaking for myself, losing some body mass would be a good way to reduce the vehicle weight and keep my femoral condyles from making new tracks in my tibial condyles, see it every day and you would want to avoid it too....

Last edited by eightsandaces; 05-13-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 AM   #16

Reminds me of an old story at the track. One of the competitors mentioned he had done everything he could to lighten the car to make it quicker. This guy must have weighed in at around 350lbs...could lose 100 lbs of body fat and be way ahead!

Still not sure how they shoe-horned him into a race seat...

Look at the Boxster spec racers to see how they've trimmed weight...lots of fluff on these cars. My 911 weighs in around 2100lbs...big difference in feel, with less HP than the Box.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
pcw

Just to clear up a few miss quotes. Yes you can get the radio/AC delete, however adding the radio with sound plus, costs nothing, in fact, it also includes blue tooth and the ipod connector at no charge as well. The A/C add cost is just for the install of the A/C. I decided to add the A/C and the radio, as well as heated seats and sports exhaust. The weight savings is also due to aluminum doors, truck lids, ultra light 19 " rims.

The other point I would like to mention is this car is not for everyone and it is also not just for rich people. I'm not rich, but work hard for what I have. I decided on the Spyder after I had a deposit on a 2011 Shelby GT500. That car spec'd out to my liking was almost 60K. When I saw the Spyder at the LA Auto Show, I was sold. I would never buy a Spyder in cold or wet climate areas or as a daily driver. Here in Northern CA, you have ideal weather.

The Spyder will hold it's value, with less than 600 being produced in the US and rumors that it will not be in the line up because of the new Boxster due out in 2012. A one MY run would for sure make it even more exclusive. Mine is on the ship and is to be in port San Diego on 5/29 and to my dealer by 6/4-7th. I ordered it in Nov, so it has been a long 7 months. I'm looking forward to many years full of Sunday drives

pcw
pcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #18

I thought I read somewhere that the spyder is in the regular lineup, not a limited/special edition model. There's an article that explained why Porsche believes that there's demand, etc.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #19

^Congratulations, that's a head-turner...NOBODY who owns a Porsche is going to see you and not take a second look. An RS Boxster was lonnnng overdue. Complaining about not having a radio and cup holder really fails to grasp the whole impetus behind the car. This is not supposed to be a comfy car. Quiet the opposite it should have ZERO of any of that. I thought it was quiet outrageous when I first saw a 997 GT3 with a SUN ROOF! These very limited builds are supposed to have very limited uses. If you want a car with more versatility don't buy this one, same reason more people don't buy a Lotus.

As for the pricing. When haven't Porsche been screwing their buyers with huge mark ups for performance similar to offerings from other brands? Those guys are a-holes who can afford to be a-holes because there are no shortage of people who will pay whatever they ask. That's one of the perks of being a small car company with a legendary reputation.

I agree there will be great demand for this car from the autocross/track crowd. What they will be willing to pay is another matter. I don't think this car will fare any better than the other track oriented Porsches which are also limited in numbers and are taking big hits on resale. While the build numbers are small so is the target market. The bottom line is that when it comes to not very practical track toys there are a ton of options now and fewer and fewer people with the dough to support a very pricey hobby.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-14-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
pcw

I agree on the track point, but for me I will never track my Spyder. I have my DD, 08 STI for that. Tracking is very harsh on a car. For the most part this car will be in the garage, covered, and will only be driven on nice cool morning or evenings .

When I talk about holding it's value, I'm talking long term, not short term. Porsche enthusiasts will always be looking for those types of cars, low miles, low production numbers and showroom condition, nitch cars for nitch buyers. Everyone knows that a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That's long after KBB says what it's worth. And I willing to roll the dice on this car, only time will tell.

pcw

pcw is offline   Reply With Quote