Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #1

oil/tires

I'm due for an oil change & tires I currently have bf goodrich g-force sport tires. I drive 100miles a day, interstate, 5 days a week year around and some in town. don't drive real hard but I push it a little. also my oil guy has a synthetic mobil 0-40 that he says is porsche approved. the tires I have were fine other than being very noisey. would like to have your thoughts on both.
2002 base, tiptronic. 2.7 I'm located in north Alabama.
Thanks!

02box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #2

If you do a thread search on "tire recommendations" you'll find that opinions abound.

I spent $1200 on Michelin PS2's last time to own what most call "the best." Now I'm broke and I'll probably buy Hankook Ventus V12's at half the price installed which are said to be just as good.

Everyone will have their favorite brand though.

Now to oil recommendations:

Another very hotly debated topic, both for weights (0W40 or 5W40????) and brands. Most run Mobil 1 0W40 because it's factory fill, and change it once a year or every 7500 miles, whichever comes first.

I bought Royal Purple at nearly twice the price per quart due to an article I read on motor wear comparing brands.

With both tires and oil, the opinions will be o-plenty and you'll be dizzy by them all.

Search the forum and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about both.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #3

Me, 5-40 Castrol or Mobile 1. I have used Castrol for the past 30 years on most of my cars. Tires, I recommend Falken 912's. Very nice smooth ride and perfect for warm and wet climates...terrible in snow country. I just put them on my 2000 Boxster S in November. Love em. $625 installed from Discount Tires and I have 18" on mine and the backs are larger than the fronts.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #4

100 miles a day...I'm lucky if I get that in a week or so. You will find many opinions on tires if you search...as far as oil, please read the following information on LN's website; the engine you save, may be your own.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

FWIW, I run Castrol Syntec 10W40 and only drive in moderate to warm temps.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Considering your commute distance and moderate behavior, I'd suggest paying attention to the treadwear rating on the tires that you are considering. A slightly harder compound tire will sacrifice some grip for longer life. Which sounds like it might be of some benefit to you.

As for oil, in addition to some thorough research, consider change intervals more frequent than Porsche recommends.

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-21-2010 at 07:49 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #6

Here's a whole web site devoted to arguing about oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

They have some good threads about Royal Purple and Amsol as well as some significant Mobil 1 bashing.

That article you posted, jmatta, is a good one. Made my head spin a bit as it's terribly technical, but knowing what to look for in the certifications is good knowledge.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #7

JCB,
Regarding the Falken 912's was that $600 for 2 or all 4?

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #8

All 4...my picture here in the my post is them on the car. The Falken's have a little softer rubber composite which makes it ride nice and smooth. If you get to aggressive you feel give in the tread. Everyday driving with a nice smooth ride is what the Falken 912's offer. It is not a track tire.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
pboxstercar

As for oil type I don't think you could go wrong buying any porsche approved oil.
Check out pedros garage.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Porsche-Approved_Oils.html
Old 04-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #10

So if I'm looking for the best performance tire and not concerned about the smoothest tire and have a limited budget, i.e., the cheaper the better, what tire should I get? Falkens sound like something for a Buick. Am I wrong? I like the performance of the pirellies (spelling) just think they are too noisy.

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
So if I'm looking for the best performance tire and not concerned about the smoothest tire and have a limited budget, i.e., the cheaper the better, what tire should I get? Falkens sound like something for a Buick. Am I wrong? I like the performance of the pirellies (spelling) just think they are too noisy.

-Steve
Performance tires will have a stiff and usually noisey ride. If you are just a cruiser the Falken's are a great tire. And don't under estimate them because they are low cost. They also have a warranty and a lot of high performance tires come with no warranty.
Here's some info on them.

Imagine an all season performance tire designed to offer true grip and increased traction that ultimately advances driver confidence whatever the weather condition. With the ZIEX ZE912, Falken has developed a tire with full-depth sipes encircling the tread, coupled with high-volume circumferential grooves and high angle variable cross grooves, that brings together the spirit of performance driving in all climates. When faced with wet conditions, the ZIEX ZE912 features increased hydroplane resistance and increased tread stability by evacuating water away, delivering improved grip composure, while its hybrid-asymmetric pattern produces better dry performance. A genuine touring tire with confidence, through a 65,000 limited mileage warranty on 60/65 series and 40,000 limited mileage warranty on 55 series and under. This results in a tire that performs regardless of the condition of the road each and every season.

* 4 HIGH VOLUME CIRCUMFERENTIAL GROOVES deliver increased hydroplane resistance for improved wet weather performance
* TREADWEAR INDICATORS provide the driver with visual cues to help maximize tire life
* HIGH ANGLE VARIABLE CROSS GROOVES help reduce tire noise
* INFINITE SIPE SEQUENCE increase traction in winter months while improving overall grip

Old Hippie Young Heart
Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #12

i just put 4 new Dunlop Star Specs on mine and I literally smile ear to ear every time I take a turn with moderate speed.

Wet weather? AMAZING performance
Dry weather? Incredible

this will sound dumb, but they look sexy as hell too... very aggressive looking tread pattern.

I love them!!!

the treadwear ain't the greatest, but it's worth it. I love my wet weather peace of mind.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:59 AM   #13

I am on my third set of Kumho Exsta SPT's and couldn't be happier. O f course I get 2 seasons out of the fronts and maybe 1/2 out of the rear. At under $500 for a full set coupled with the excellent Tire Rack ratings I am quite happy. I am then allowed to spend money foolisly on other Porsche related items or maintenance. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:38 AM   #14

I am reading these posts and am concerned that everyone is south of the 35 parallel. How do your tires do with frost on the ground? I want to extend my season. Everything I have read about Summer tires is that below 40 degrees, your safer on a bicycle. Any incite into the lower temperature driving on these tires?
Old 04-24-2010, 05:28 AM   #15

when my yokohama's wear out from a much enjoyable season of autocrossing and daily driving, I am going to buy the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's. I have had similar tires in the past and have really liked them.

As far as oil, I use mobil 1, and have not had a problem. Now, that being said, I do change the oil FAR more frequently than recommended. About every 5,000 miles or once a year.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice
when my yokohama's wear out from a much enjoyable season of autocrossing and daily driving, I am going to buy the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's. I have had similar tires in the past and have really liked them.

As far as oil, I use mobil 1, and have not had a problem. Now, that being said, I do change the oil FAR more frequently than recommended. About every 5,000 miles or once a year.
I think you'll be amazed by how much better the RE-11's perform over your current Yokos. Just as an option, if you're looking for RE-11 performance for a couple hundred less look into the Kuhmo XS tires. I've had them on mine since last summer and they have gobs of grip and a popular AX tire.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #17

If you are in an area of snow, extreme cold, you will need a winter tire. Buy a set of used rims and get yourself a set of winter tires.

Old Hippie Young Heart
Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #18

went back with the BFG g-force tires but only had to replace the rears. fronts were still good so I kept them the same for cosmetic reasons went with the mobil 1 on the oil. thanks for the input. had a bent rim which is straight now after having it fixed. ride is sooo much better than before.
02box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #19

Red face Just in case the horse wasn't dead yet...

I purchased my '00 S three months ago and I am looking at my first oil change. So far having trouble finding Castrol Syntec 10W40 in volume in So. AZ. Maybe a sign?

Is the M1 10W40 an okay alternative? Should I even be using the 10W40 or do I need to stick with 5W40? The temps are approaching 100 F fast here and the winter temps are only around 30-40F.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have read oil grade threads until my eyes bled and I felt like this I guess I just need to make a decision...

Thanks for the help.
DesertDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #20

There's no right or wrong answer on what oil to use; you've read the posts and seen all the opinions. Opinions are like ************************************s, everyone's got one.

I just finished up the last of the M1 I had laying around and picked up 10 qts of Castrol Syntec 5W40 on sale for $28(!) for 5 qts plus a spin-on filter a few weeks ago from Pep Boys, which I believe you have in Tucson as well.

Walmart Auto Centers around here stock 5 qt (or 5 liter) jugs of Syntec 10W40, and their price was very good (~$28 as I recall), but I wanted 5W40 and they wouldn't order it for me. Also give Autozone a try, all of the stores here in NJ stock it (@$7.25/qt). If they don't, they'll probably be willing to order it in.

gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote