Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #1

Angry quality of windshield glass?

After driving 2004 boxster S for three months, I have only one complaint about the quality of Boxster.
you guessed it. The windshield.. It just get chipped and pitted to easily.
I never follow cars closely but whenever some stray rock hit the windshield, it seems to pit the glass.. Am I the only one feeling porsche uses substandard glasses?

Old 04-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #2

I noticed it on my pal's SL 500 so don't feel so bad.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #3

Just ranting

I know all windshields get chipped and pitted.
However, after driving miata for three years before the boxster, I've never noticed this much pitting in such a short time. Driving habit is same now as before..
Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 PM   #4

really? My last car was a Miata too and I had loads of pitting, but that was mostly due to Autcross in these lots like one that was on the side of a hill and had ridiculus amounts pebbles. It sounded like a blender inside my wheel wells.

Maybe you can get some 3M film to cover the winshield? I have it on my headlights.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #5

oh well,...

I have previously owned two miatas
First one was 1993model, donated after 250000 miles.
Second was 2001model, traded in at 75000miles. those were great little cars.
Will see how many miles i put on this boxster before upgrading..

I guess i will wait for more pits and replace the windshield when i can't take any longer.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:37 AM   #6

I don't think Porsche would ever use sub standard anything. The Boxsters front end shape makes the first verticle area you come to the window glass, hence the chips etc.
Seth Bullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:05 AM   #7

I do know that that manufacturers have had to make winshields softer and softer to deal with US safety standards. In the old days, this glass was much harder, which is NOT a good thing if your head is moving towards it.

I have not noticed a great degree of pitting in the Box but then again, in CA, we don't deal with sand and salt being thrown on our roads due to ice and snow. Back in NE , this is a real issue for cars. I used to get about three seasons back there before the glare on a sunny day would really show the pitting big time.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #8

I think my 97 has the original windshield in it and the glass is so pitted I'd like to replace it.

Anyone done this? How much, and do glass shops have access to aftermarket windshields for our cars, or do they have to order it from a dealer and pay a zillion dollars?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #9

Thanks Brucelee,,
that makes sense totally..
Old 04-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #10

You are welcome!

Old 04-14-2005, 08:02 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to jiggysubman
my 97 windshield is pitted to hell too!
jiggysubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:18 AM   #12
PAH

27000 miles on my Boxster S and the windscreen is terrible. Driving into the sun (yes, we sometimes get it in the UK) you can see dozens of tiny indentations which catch the light. I've also got a big chip, about 6mm long, where a big stone tried to kill me! I'm hoping it will spread a bit so I can get a new screen on the insurance. In the UK, claiming for glass does not affect your 'no-claims' bonus, so it won't affect the next premium.
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #13

PAH - you know, you might be able to accelerate the crack by blowing a high wattage hair dryer on the edge of the crack on a nice cold morning! Oooh, I am devious. I have to watch out for that!

I got a price on a replacement windshield for my 97 boxster (with an antenna built into it and without a rain sensor) from the guy in Houston who does all the job-out glass work for the Porsche dealerships.

$578.00 Installed. Glass is supposedly in stock.

I guess I will wait until I get a crack or ding of some sort... mine is in good shape crack-wise, it's just the pits I can't stand when I'm drying it off after washing.

Worse yet, I have a $500 deductible on windshield replacements through State Farm. I could lower it I guess, but it will just permanently raise my premiums.

I do know one thing though.. most people wouldn't readily notice it, but a new windshield on an old car that's been kept in good shape makes it look far newer! For this reason alone I might just have one put in later this year when I get some extra cash saved up. I do know it would improve the saleability of the vehicle, although that is not my motivation. I'm keeping this car for at least five more years.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 04-15-2005 at 10:07 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #14

aftermarket glass?

I am wondering whether that price quote is for porsche original or aftermarket windshield glass..
From my experience, aftermarket ones tends to be better in quality than original ones... At least so in my 1993 miata..
Old 04-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #15

Angry

I have a 2003 with only 7000 miles and the windshield looks terrible with hundreds of pits. I don't follow close to other cars either. I get upset every time I wash the car.
03box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #16

Talking

I got one done locally here in San Diego for about $250 installed at Safelitte Glass.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I do know that that manufacturers have had to make winshields softer and softer to deal with US safety standards. In the old days, this glass was much harder, which is NOT a good thing if your head is moving towards it.

I have not noticed a great degree of pitting in the Box but then again, in CA, we don't deal with sand and salt being thrown on our roads due to ice and snow. Back in NE , this is a real issue for cars. I used to get about three seasons back there before the glare on a sunny day would really show the pitting big time.

I agree in terms of the windshield manufacturer code, yet I bought my Porsche used and got a good deal, by the way, from Mercedes of South Bay...so the issue is glass, I see pits too, and this friendly representative of Porsche *and she knows her stuff* suggests Rain-X to help this problem....on another note, after watching "How the Autobahn Works" on TV, I'm thinking ok they run this fast, how do they address these issues, think Rain-X or replace, depending on your budget...think: millions of people drive the autobahn every day, so if you really want to talk to a person is to get in touch with them (who rides hard, and I'd like to see the durability of the rear main seal too, ask them, they'll tell you...am I nuts? I proclaim to be! *my signature which will stand*

teacher is offline   Reply With Quote