986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What's a fair price? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/24995-whats-fair-price.html)

Lucky 06-02-2010 06:14 PM

What's a fair price?

I'm thinking of trying something different. Love the BoxS, but family needs are changing...

So what do you think I can sell the BoxS for?

~~~~~

Details are:

2000 S model
Arena Red / Black interior / Black top

Excellent condition in & out with some rock chips on hood. Top in very good condition, rear window is excellent (regularly treated with Lexol)

Miles: 106K on chassis, 37K on 2005 crate engine
Factory options: hi-fi sound, sport design
Mods (in last 6K miles): ROW M030 suspension, 18" Cayman S replica wheels, Schnell short shift, PSE, secondary cat bypass pipes
All maintenance up to date
Recent major maintenance items: front motor mount (987 part), rear wheel bearings, new flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing, new windshield, new tires

I've owned the car for 3 years and 15K trouble free miles. I'm OCD when it comes to Porsches, so I've replaced parts that were still working just fine before they wore out (such as the flywheel/clutch).

gschotland 06-02-2010 06:48 PM

I'd say $12-13k on a good day if it looks as good as it sounds like it is mechanically. You need to find a buyer who truly appreciates the fact that you've kept the car in tip top shape (and the costs to do that). In other words, probably someone active on this forum or on one of the others (Renntech, etc.). The newer engine and the mods will be attractive to a buyer "in the know".

The typical buyer out there who's clueless about maintenance and repair costs is going to go for the "best" deal, meaning the lowest price, only to whacked later. There are tons of cheap Boxsters that have gone through a few owners and have lots of deferred maintenance.

Lucky 06-03-2010 06:58 AM

Thanks for the thoughts on pricing and buyer sentiment.

Do you think the replacement engine, suspension, new flywheel/clutch, etc. would allow me to ask more than the run of the mill S?

crod 06-03-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky
Thanks for the thoughts on pricing and buyer sentiment.

Do you think the replacement engine, suspension, new flywheel/clutch, etc. would allow me to ask more than the run of the mill S?

I think you can get more for it, probably in the $14-15k range.
I bought mine 2 months ago, a 2001 S with 35k original miles on it. It has more options than yours I think (original Sport Classic II wheels, coloured crests, Litronics, crazily priced special Slate Grey color - saw the original sticker and it is unbelievable how much Porsche charged at the time for this color - original Porsche Aerokit Boxster II plus some mods like Short Shifter, etc) and paid $17k.

As yours is one year older and with more mileage on the body, less options and similar miles on the engine, that is why I think $14k would be possible. Selling a Boxster is also an exercise of finding the right buyer. I knew exactly what I was looking for and when I saw that one for sale it was the perfect car for my needs.

So far, great vehicle! Did a lot of preventive maintenance and now have all the parts for the next big things ready (clutch, brakes, etc). So when time comes I will be doing clutch/RMS/IMS retrofit in one shot and the brakes in the next 2-3 weeks I think (not that I really need new ones but it is getting there - I already put almost 5,000 miles on it since I got it).

Good luck selling it! I think mine will be buried with me. :D

CR

fatmike 06-03-2010 08:49 AM

Let us know where you end up. I'd guess in the $11K-$12K range at most. The reality is that 100K+ miles on the car is a lot. There are a lot of cars for sale out there.

Truth be told, a "replacement" engine would scare me more than it would be an asset. Personally, I doubt I would even consider this car once I found that out.

Good luck with it.

Tranlm 06-03-2010 09:26 AM

I'm in agreement. One of the main things I look at when buying a used car is the mileage. Gives me an idea of how much maintaining I'll have to do when I take over.

As for the replacement engine, you should market it as an upgrade and that you just wanted a better engine. I'd be weary too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmike
Let us know where you end up. I'd guess in the $11K-$12K range at most. The reality is that 100K+ miles on the car is a lot. There are a lot of cars for sale out there.

Truth be told, a "replacement" engine would scare me more than it would be an asset. Personally, I doubt I would even consider this car once I found that out.

Good luck with it.

trube78 06-03-2010 10:05 AM

TRY EDMUNDS and KBB

Most dealers and private buyers of a Porsche will probably get info from there as well. I would also check cars.com and autotrader for prices in your area.
Best,
tom