Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #1

Check Engine-Visit Workshop light

My 2006 Boxster S check engine light came on yesterday and it said visit workshop. Then later that day, the engine starting to almost stall in 1st and 2nd gear. Then this morning when I turned it on, a white/blue smoke with very very bad smell (like rotton egg/sulfur) came out of exhaust for about 5 min and engine would stutter up and down almost stalling. Called the dealer and they said have it towed in! Believe it may be a bad CAT. I think I may be able to drive it in vs. tow it? Anyone experience this type of problem before?

Thanks and can't wait to get my boxster back on the road! Just bought it Feb 2010.

Ray

Ray Hudgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #2

Ray, it's not a good idea to run an engine for "five minutes" if has smoke pouring out of it - you could ruin it depending on what failed. Also, if the check engine light is on solid, it should be safe to drive. If it is flashing, that means pull over immediately and shut down the engine.

I think your AOS (air oil separator) failed, which is fairly common and not too expensive to fix. When it fails you start sucking oil into your air intake and the engine burns it off, producing the smoke.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #3

Rotten egg smell is a classic catalytic converter failure symptom, agree with yimmy on the smoke. If you replace the AOS, order the J tube (you'll need it) and personally I would heat the j tube with a hair dryer before replacement next time, it's a really poorly designed piece that breaks incredibly easy at the connector and costs far too much.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 04-26-2010 at 01:09 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #4

Same Situation...

I have a similar situation. Driving home one day, I noticed a lot white smoke while waiting at a stop sign. Driving in 1st and 2nd gear produced smoke. Parked it at home and some smoke at idle. Next day, came out and started it and a HUGE amount of smoke was initially produced and then cleared to a small amount in idle. Now, steady check engine light is on. I'm afraid to start it much less drive it to the shop! Does this sound like a failed AOS? If so, is it safe to drive to the shop?
dgarcia5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #5

[QUOTE=dgarcia5]I have a similar situation. Driving home one day, I noticed a lot white smoke while waiting at a stop sign. Driving in 1st and 2nd gear produced smoke. Parked it at home and some smoke at idle. Next day, came out and started it and a HUGE amount of smoke was initially produced and then cleared to a small amount in idle. Now, steady check engine light is on. I'm afraid to start it much less drive it to the shop! Does this sound like a failed AOS? If so, is it safe to drive to the shop?[/QUOTE

If you can post the failure code it will be easier to tell you, also, check the oil level, too much oil can produce some of these symptoms. If the car sounds and runs as normal except for the smoke, I like the AOS as culprit. If it's running poorly that is an entirely different thing.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #6

Mine failed with no smoke at all. The engine developed a loud squealing noise after it warmed up. Air was being sucked thru the front crankshaft seal which created the squealing noise, plus I tried to remove the oil filler cap while running, and could not get it off. Turn the engine off, relaxed the oil cap and cranked it back up, which then started smoking vigorously, but no squealing. 2 hour replacement job and about $135 for the AOS and J-tube.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarcia5
I have a similar situation. Driving home one day, I noticed a lot white smoke while waiting at a stop sign. Driving in 1st and 2nd gear produced smoke. Parked it at home and some smoke at idle. Next day, came out and started it and a HUGE amount of smoke was initially produced and then cleared to a small amount in idle. Now, steady check engine light is on. I'm afraid to start it much less drive it to the shop! Does this sound like a failed AOS? If so, is it safe to drive to the shop?
I had AOS go out and drove the car to a dealer 1 mile away while spewing LOTS of white smoke. Reflecting back on the event, I could have caused havoc to fellow drivers with potential financial responsibility. Lost 1.5 quart of oil, but no CEL.
If my car's AOS fails again, I am going to have it towed to the shop.

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote