Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #1

03 986 - where is the stock amp? Also, bets location for subwoofer?

Gang, I am doing a sound system upgrade in my 03 986. Where is the stock amp located? Can I put an Alpine PDX-5 in the same location?

Also, any suggestions on best placement of for a subwoofer (JL Audio 6W3)?

I would appreciate all of your feedback and thoughts.

Thanks,

Bob

Alpine IDA-X305S
Focal 165VR3
Alipne PDX-5
JL Audio 6W3

bobd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #2

Search the site. The car stereo topic has been beaten to death.

The amp is in the "frunk" just behind the spare tire.

You might want to think about getting the OEM sub box that fits neatly on top of the deck behind the seats. It works well and is generally not pricey used, maybe $200-$300, and will run off the stock amp in the Bose system (at least it does in my '02 S) without any wiring modifications.

Unless you're looking for a reason to cut your car all apart and spend lots of money, IMO it's best to stick with the stock look and do stealth upgrades such as a better head unit and dash and door speakers.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

FYI... '03+ MY Porsches all have the MOST fiber optic system so if you replace headunit, you'll need to find one MOST compatible (tough challenge) or redo all the wiring from the h/u to the amp in front trunk.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #4

Alpine PDX5 is one of the few 5 channel amps that will fit in the stock location, and is a very good choice. I assume you will replace the door and dash speakers in the process, as well as the head unit. The last remaining item is the sub. Some have done them behind the seats, or in the passenger footwell. The other option is to buy the Bose subwoofer that goes over the engine hatch as was pointed out by the previous poster. Not a lot of room in any of those locations. There is poster over on Renntech that makes a subwoofer box for the stock Bose sub location. Looks very nice, but is is $$$ if I remember correctly.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #5

hey guys, I am interested in getting a PDX-5 and I was wondering how you have setup the different channels since the car has 2 door speakers, 3 dash, and 1 sub and 2 small speakers on the side of the sub.

Can you tell me which channels went to which speakers?

Thanks!

juan986 is offline   Reply With Quote