Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Red face burning smell

My 2001 Boxster sometimes develops a burning rubber smell from the engine area. I'm thinking that it may be caused by the drive belt - any other suggestions? I intend to change the belt and I'm told that to gain access all I need to do is push the seats forward and remove the carpetted section behind them and remove the front engine cover. I had a quick look at this but I can't see where or how to get the carpetted cover off - is it just a clip on thing or are there screws etc - can any body help with this please?
Also I'm fitting a set of headers next weekend - I understand that when installing the headers to the engine, I need to tighten the bolts from the centre of the manifold to the outside. What I don't have is the torque settings for these bolts - can anybody help me with this? Is this the correct tightening sequence?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by ryuujin; 05-23-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling
ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Is it possible that you're riding the clutch?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #3

The belt is easy. Put your top in service mode, in other words, open the top to about 7-12 inches then stop. Slide both seat all the way forward. The carper behind the seat has 4-5 plastic clips on the top, you need a little screw driver to pry them up. I pull the carpet from one side out a little and then continue to remove it. I have never had to remove the console. You will now see the engine cover which has about 12, 10MM bolts to remove. Once the cover is off you can see the belt and the front of the engine. You need a 1/2" drive breaker bar which a 27MM socket. By putting the socket and drive on the tensioner bolt, you push down with one hand and pull the belt off the tensioner, then let up on the drive. Note how the belt is thread thru and around everything. Just do everything in reverse and your finished. Start engine and let run for minute or two, to be sure you have it right. and do other visuals while your at it.
Not sure about the headers.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #4

here are 2 sites you should Bookmark for future needs.
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages
www.pedrosgarage.com

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #5

start spraying all the exhaust bolts/nuts now with pen. oil
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Is it possible that you're riding the clutch?

No, not riding the clutch - Tiptronic. The smell is not a clutch smell, definitely a rubbery burning smell
Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 AM   #7

You never said how many miles your Boxster has on it. I just did my serpentine belt at 66,000 miles. Glad I did, it was beginning to split. I have a TIP also and also have a smell after driving. I have a leaking pan gasket and the oil is getting on the exhaust. Next DIY project for me.

Old Hippie Young Heart
Old 05-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #8

Garage
Stuck brake caliper?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #9

It's your belt or a sticking pulley. Take your panel off behind your seats, get a new belt from the dealer if you like. Once you take the belt off just go around and spin and wiggle all the pulleys/tensioners. Just common sense, you will know if something is not right. If all is good you should be up and running in under 45 mins. PM me if you need help.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
It's your belt or a sticking pulley. Take your panel off behind your seats, get a new belt from the dealer if you like. Once you take the belt off just go around and spin and wiggle all the pulleys/tensioners. Just common sense, you will know if something is not right. If all is good you should be up and running in under 45 mins. PM me if you need help.
agreed; had the same smell, replaced the belt, which took about an hour (the new one was quite tight and hard to stretch) and that smell should be gone.
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #11

From which position of the car do you find the smell? I have a similar rubber burning smell but I can only find it from the driver side rear?
VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #12

I remember when I first got my car I smelled something too. Turns out I was riding the clutch.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
agreed; had the same smell, replaced the belt, which took about an hour (the new one was quite tight and hard to stretch) and that smell should be gone.
Thankyou all - I am betting its the belt - I have one on order and will change it in a day or two.