Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #1

Soft top with glass

i know it's been covered numerous times...

i've decided against a hardtop, mainly due to cost and losing the ability to go top-down while on the road.

i'm looking at the glass window ones, but had one question. Does this completely eliminate the fear of having a "cracked" rear window, like along the seams and stuff?

also, if i bought one on ebay or online vendor (such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-1997-98-99-00-2001-2002-Convertible-Top-/330434111516?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cef68681c)
where can i get it installed at? or is it DIY?

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #2

I purchased mine from GAHH (see ad insert on left). 1000x better than OEM; i had it installed by a local shop that they had listed as a certified installer. No complaints.

$970 when I bought it, plus about $800 for install.

Check out how it looks:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jondirty/Porsche#
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

wow $800 for install!!??

i was researching some more while waiting for replies and it appears the costs are about the same when all is said and done. i can probably find a good used hardtop in my color for around $1500 and installation is much easier (right?)
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

A hard top will definitely be longer-lived, and more economical, but at the cost of convenience. I live in San Francisco, so install was pricier than most cities, and I need to be able to drop the top during the day and put it back nightly, since that's how our weather is. If I lived somewhere where summer was always hot, I'd have definitely gone hardtop back when I was making my decision. However, that being said, the GAHH glass top is soooooo nice, I"m happy that it's the way I went.

J
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Old 05-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
Nice car old chap. A silver 2.5 986 is still the definitive Boxster for me. Aged incredibly well given that it came out in '96.
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 AM   #6

$800 is crazy. I ran into a guy this weekend at one of those coin operated washes (don't worry I bring my own sponges and brushes) who just did his.
He bought the GAHH top on Ebay and took it to the BMW dealer and was quoted $1000 for the install. After reading the directions he decided to try it himself and said it was straighforward and took him two hours "going slow, since it was the first time". He offered to replace mine if I help saying we should be able to do it in an hour.
I previously replaced a top on a Miata and the fee was $350. It doesn't seem to me that a Porsche top is any more complicated than a Mazda top. Actually come to think of it I would imagine it would be easier to swap out being that a bit more engineering went into the assembly, seems like the Germans are always much more exact about these things. Just look how easy it is to replace brake pads and to swap out Halogens for Litronics.

here's a DIY

http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/e/eb/DIY_Boxster_Conv_Top_Canvas_R_R.pdf
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-24-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #7

Perfectlap ~ Let me know if you decide to move forward with your conversion, I would be willing to participate in a "garage day" if you need an extra set of hands! I have a 01 and have been considering this upgrade....but right now I am at my wife's Porsche threashold.
DRL hack
boxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
$800 is crazy. I ran into a guy this weekend at one of those coin operated washes (don't worry I bring my own sponges and brushes) who just did his.
He bought the GAHH top on Ebay and took it to the BMW dealer and was quoted $1000 for the install. After reading the directions he decided to try it himself and said it was straighforward and took him two hours "going slow, since it was the first time". He offered to replace mine if I help saying we should be able to do it in an hour.
I previously replaced a top on a Miata and the fee was $350. It doesn't seem to me that a Porsche top is any more complicated than a Mazda top. Actually come to think of it I would imagine it would be easier to swap out being that a bit more engineering went into the assembly, seems like the Germans are always much more exact about these things. Just look how easy it is to replace brake pads and to swap out Halogens for Litronics.

here's a DIY

http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/e/eb/DIY_Boxster_Conv_Top_Canvas_R_R.pdf

Well, it was worth the money: I don't have the eye to line up properly and make it look good, and I was willing to pay someone else to be that precise. While I don't doubt that self-install is possible and easy, I wanted a lifetime warranty and to make sure it looked PERFECT. When I did the clutch on my Toyota in January it took me nearly a month of an hour or two a day after work to put it in, and it was only an "8 hour" job. If it would have taken the same amount of time to do a "2 hour" job, i can't justify doing it myself as I would have made more money just working longer hours.
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #9

a job done right is never expensive. A job done wrong always gets expensive.
You are indeed taking your chances with a cheaper quote.

Boxzilla, I will keep you in mind. A garage day sound like a good idea. My top is flawless other than the window. Even the plastic is still very clear. But I guess sooner or later the elements catch up.
I'm trying to push this upgrade out as long as possible. I'd much rather put the money towards suspension, tires, exhaust, Avic nav, etc.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote