986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Break In Procedure (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2487-break-procedure.html)

Bushwhacker 04-13-2005 06:37 PM

Break In Procedure

Just a newbie looking for a little help. I will soon take delivery of a '05 987S. I don't know what kind of inservice the dealer will offer (if any) or what the manual covers, so...what should I know about proper break in? RPM limits for X number of miles, etc. Thanks in advance.

donv 04-13-2005 08:13 PM

The 2001 manual says for the first 1000 miles (1600 KM) to:
  • avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops
  • do not exceed 4,200 RPM
  • don't run a cold engine at high RPM
  • don't lug or make the engine labor (don't overload at low RPM)

Also, the brakes and tires have a caution for break-in as well. Basically you have to expect the car to need more breaking force and take longer to stop for the first few hundred miles.

Enjoy the delivery experience! The first drive is a great one... be sure to have a favorite CD with you, or just enjoy the other sound system behind you. :cheers:

Bushwhacker 04-14-2005 07:18 AM

So what's 4200 RPM's in 6th gear - about 100 MPH?
:cheers:

Adam 04-14-2005 07:31 AM

Little more...around 105-110mph I believe.

wombat7 04-14-2005 08:01 AM

I've heard some different things than what has already been said. My uncle, a certified BMW mechanic, says that you want to run the engine through the whole RPM range once warm. If you do not do so, your cylinders could get negatively effected i.e. get ridges and stuff in them. If you run the vehicle throughout the whole RPM range this will not happen. You definately do not want to take it to redline when it is cold, but once the car is warm there really isn't a problem with it.

Adam 04-14-2005 08:09 AM

Yeah, I agree Wombat. It's not going to hurt the engine to take it up past 4,200 once in a while. I mean the break-in period is 2,000 miles, who can seriously say they haven't exceeded that at least once or twice. Most people take it past the recammended limit on the test drive alone.

longislander1 04-14-2005 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
Just a newbie looking for a little help. I will soon take delivery of a '05 987S. I don't know what kind of inservice the dealer will offer (if any) or what the manual covers, so...what should I know about proper break in? RPM limits for X number of miles, etc. Thanks in advance.

You can download the manual on renntech.org. While it was good and informative reading, I only wanted the car more! Mine's supposed to be delivered in June.

Brucelee 04-14-2005 11:00 AM

Normally you don't want to drive at steady speeds for long periods of time. The up and down on the revs allows the rings to properly seat and they need negative pressure to do so.

At least that is what we have always been told.

Bushwhacker 04-15-2005 08:26 AM

Thanks for the replies, I downloaded the manual which was a "wealth" of information. I am most perplexed by the lack of an oil dipstick on the '05. Just too old fashioned to completely trust the electronics, I guess :confused:

RandallNeighbour 04-15-2005 10:24 AM

I don't trust the digital gauge in my 1997... dipsticks shows full to the brim and the digital one shows I should add a cup or two of oil.

I noticed there is no manual dipstick in the 987's as well. Unfortunately, I will not have to gripe about this for five years... which is when the 2005's will be cheap enough for me to purchase.

Brucelee 04-15-2005 11:43 AM

." Just too old fashioned to completely trust the electronics, I guess"

I am so with you on this. Imagine, trusting German electronics for something as important and basic as oil level.

If this were a Mercedes, the oil sensor would be TOTALLY untrustworthy.

Perhaps we can build a new product, making retro dipstick packages for Porsches.

BTW-this is also one way to tell if the oil is DIRTY, which in my business is fairly important!

This is NOT progress IMHO.

Bushwhacker 04-15-2005 06:07 PM

At least they're not Lucas :D

Brucelee 04-15-2005 06:54 PM

I agree on the Lucas issue but I think Bosch is on the way towards England!