986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   tire balancing due to steering shaking (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2469-tire-balancing-due-steering-shaking.html)

kajita 04-11-2005 09:49 PM

tire balancing due to steering shaking

took my box to America's Tire Co. for a tire balancing. i went there cuz they were offering life time free balancing, flat repair, rotation (which boxs' dont need) for 69.99. but few surprises.

*they wanted to charge me 49.99 per wheel since it was 19". for one time balancing. :eek:
*they told me i HAVE to get "ride-match" balancing since it was 19". whatever that is. :confused:
*and that they can't offer that life time deal on my car since it was 19".

so i said what the heck, why not, do it. 3 minutes later one guys comes back and tells my rep guys and says "can't work on that porsche, its got a spacer".
so they deny to work on my car. (i have a 15mm hub centric spacer on the rear, got the wheels from a previous 996 owner) they said its their co. policy regards to liability issue.
by now i am pretty up set cuz they act like i did something bad by having original porsch factory spacers. to top it off this little greasy monkey even said " dude, why'd you put spacers?" and walks away. :mad: i am 35 but i look 25 so i am real sick of strange people (kids) calling me dude or man. anyhow, as i was about to walk out, and one guy says, if you didnt have spacers i would do it for you, so i told them my front dont have any spacers so they did that "ride-match" balancing.
that thing took 2 hours. i was watching them the whole time and wow, it was some maticulous balancing. i was glad the guy who was working on the wheels knew what he was doing and wouldnt quit until he got it perfect and i mean perfect. he must have taken off the tires off the wheel at least 3 time to make it perfect. he did such a good job so i tipped him $20. and i guess he was grateful so he goes back in the shop and tells his manager that the balancing machine is little off so i should get my money back (in front of 6~8 different customers) so i got refunded! so i got that ride match thingy for $20!! and my car drives awesome now. that thing is really worth it even if i had to pay 49 per tire. :dance:

Brucelee 04-12-2005 05:10 AM

"he must have taken off the tires off the wheel at least 3 time to make it perfect."

Yes, this is the way it SHOULD BE done!

Done correctly, it can take 20 minutes per tire, or more!

:D

D.L. 04-15-2005 06:29 PM

I'm assuming you did the road force balancing (or dynamic balance) done, right? Did that take care of the problem? I am having the same steering wheel shaking at about 70 MPH and up. I was planning on having the service done within the next few days. Let me know how it worked out please.
David

D.L. 04-17-2005 08:03 AM

I bit the bullet and decided to have the road force balance done. The car rides like a dream now. It solved all the vibration problems and is now smooth as glass. It was worth every penny. Just thought you might want to know.

jfmillr 04-17-2005 10:59 AM

hey yeah Road force balancing is the way to go. I had my new tires put on about a month or so ago and this week, tomorrow, monday going to a place in Silver Spring MD that does that service. most places that I know of around here in Northern VA dont do that. They only balance to 55 and that stinks....

i cant wait to get mine done too. usually get it doen twice a year around here :/