986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What options SHOULD Porsche add to Boxster list (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2462-what-options-should-porsche-add-boxster-list.html)

Brucelee 04-10-2005 04:43 PM

What options SHOULD Porsche add to Boxster list

I know that Porsche is King of the options list (read-way to jack up PP).

My questions is, what option SHOULD Porsche make available that they now do not?

:matchup:

PeterJoyce 04-10-2005 05:07 PM

Keyless ignition for Boxster's and 911's
Bluetooth
Voice Activation
Ventillated/Massage Seats

That would hold me.

Adam 04-10-2005 05:15 PM

Serius or XM radio.

Lux 04-10-2005 05:23 PM

1. 350 hp motor for Boxster.
2. Limited slip diff.
3. MP3 player/changer option.

-

Adam 04-10-2005 06:48 PM

doesn't the boxster S come with a limited slip LuX?

Brucelee 04-10-2005 07:14 PM

Supercharger

Tilt Wheel

Real cup holders

Memory Seats?????

PeterJoyce 04-10-2005 07:21 PM

Seems like I am the only gadget lover here. Yesterday I ordered a 525, and I got all the gadgets!

Adam 04-10-2005 07:24 PM

Your partially in luck Bruce. The 987 finally has a Tilt/telescoping wheel!

Lux 04-10-2005 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
doesn't the boxster S come with a limited slip LuX?

As shocking as this might be, Porsche...the manufacturer of sports cars, does not offer a limited slip diff on the Boxster. :matchup: The closest thing to a mechanical LSD is the PSM system that electronically employs the brakes. :rolleyes:

This is the one thing that really bugs me. And it really bugged me during the rainy season. From what I understand, Guard makes a mechanical LSD for the Boxster. Once I get some funds (and find some shorter gears for the diff) I'm gonna throw one in.

-

BuffaloBoxster 04-11-2005 04:38 AM

Definately memory seats. Every time it goes to the dealer or someone else drives it it's impossible to ever find the place the seat used to be in....

Brucelee 04-11-2005 05:17 AM

"Your partially in luck Bruce. The 987 finally has a Tilt/telescoping wheel!"

Cool I did not know that.

Good stuff. Optional or standard?

Brucelee 04-11-2005 05:18 AM

As stated above, integrated sattelite radio would be very nice I think. IPOD or MP3 integration also.

Porschekid 04-11-2005 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
Definately memory seats. Every time it goes to the dealer or someone else drives it it's impossible to ever find the place the seat used to be in....

That is an option, mine has it.

I'm really surprised they don't offer LSD. Damn, even my 93 Altima SE had LSD (even though it was a rare and expensive option.).

Adam 04-11-2005 06:25 AM

My car has some sort of Limited Slip device due to the sometimes severe axel tramp or wheel hop that occurs when trying to launch the car and even on 1-2 shifts sometimes. My reasoning is that a limited slip device limits one wheel from spinning faster than the other one. Cars without a limited slip device allow one wheel spin and the other to hook up which reduces acceleration and traction and the wheel hop condition shouldn't exist. I've never experienced this one-wheel hookup with my car. Either they both spin or they both hookup which is precisely what happens with POSI traction.

Bruce, it is now a standard thing I believe.

Perfectlap 04-11-2005 07:33 AM

At my local autocross yesterday many of my fellow club drivers were remarking on how few BoxsterS there were and how strange it was given the amazing handling and more than adequate power. Anyhooo I would like to see an option package that would have things like the lightest Porsche approved wheels with trackable rubber, approved lowering springs,harness belts, Kevlar seats(like the Cobra Suzuka, a urethane front bumper lip, stone guards around the wheel arches. And maybe some tasteful graphics like the old RS cars used to have.
I wouldn't expect all of these options from another car make but given Porsche's racing cred. I think it would be cheaper for them to negotiate deals than for me to pay retail or sifting through ebay.

Brucelee 04-11-2005 07:52 AM

These are neat ideas. Very well done!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
At my local autocross yesterday many of my fellow club drivers were remarking on how few BoxsterS there were and how strange it was given the amazing handling and more than adequate power. Anyhooo I would like to see an option package that would have things like the lightest Porsche approved wheels with trackable rubber, approved lowering springs,harness belts, Kevlar seats(like the Cobra Suzuka, a urethane front bumper lip, stone guards around the wheel arches. And maybe some tasteful graphics like the old RS cars used to have.
I wouldn't expect all of these options from another car make but given Porsche's racing cred. I think it would be cheaper for them to negotiate deals than for me to pay retail or sifting through ebay.

Lux 04-11-2005 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
My car has some sort of Limited Slip device...

As stated prior, unless you have PSM then there is no LSD. The Boxster has an open differential. Here's a blurb on diffs I found:

The most commonly employed type of differential (because it is simple and thus inexpensive and durable) is the open differential, which simply consists of a series of gears. Provided that they have minimal friction and deflection, open differentials are an effective method of avoiding wheel hop of the driven wheels in turns. They do have some serious disadvantages, however; If one wheel is off the ground, then it will spin freely, and the other wheel will not apply any meaningful amount of power to the ground. Also, they tend to slip in wet conditions, which can be hazardous; When they begin to slip, they tend to continue to slip. Because the slipping wheel gets all the power they are not useful for off-road use, either.

I think adding an LSD will be as almost as good as adding the B&M short shift, in relation to the bang-for-the-buck ratio. I really can't wait to do mine.

-

Adam 04-11-2005 10:04 AM

I am going to do some research on this topic. Like I said before though when when my tires slip or spin they both do...and this is not characteristic of an open diff as your post points out. I'm sure you've had wheel hop before on your S right lux? This is a result of a limited slip or POSI diff as your post also points out. Am I the only one here that has gotten some wheel hop? I'm sure I can't be the only one here that has tried to launch my car..at least I hope not.

Perfectlap 04-11-2005 10:38 AM

Yeah i get the wheel hop when I'm being an idiot and not paying attention. A bad mix of too heavy on the right foot and and too lazy with the left foot.
But I seem to recall a review of the BoxsterS in Road and Track and they were getting big time wheel hop on the 0-60 test.

Adam 04-11-2005 12:47 PM

I'm not surprised, anytime you try an agressive launch like over 3,500rpm and drop the clutch too fast you will get wheel hop...at least I will.