Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 04:54 AM   #1

Pricing phenomenon PLEASE HELP!

Searching for that ‘perfect’ boxster I find myself scratching my head over pricing. One minute I find a ‘great’ looking ’01 base model with fewer than 35K miles; the dealer or private seller has it listed for $24K. A similar car from a Porsche dealership, comparable in every way lists as $33K. I run the VIN for both cars; everything is fine. Cosmetically they both look great. Both have well maintained records. What am I missing? I know you can ‘run up on’ a good deal once in a while, (my former daily drive was an NSX with a price that I couldn’t pass up) however, I also know they don’t just give them away. (It’s not regional; I’m finding this significant price fluctuation all over the place) As a female I do feel a little stereotyped at times but as a car enthusiast, and thanks to places like Road Atlanta, I know what I’m looking for option-wise and always do my homework before making a purchase. Could someone please offer suggestions as to what else (mechanically) I should ask about? OR, am I really finding several nice Boxsters for $24K? If that’s the case I’d like mine in lapis blue/tan please and maybe I should pick one up in yellow while I’m at it! LOL

TNcargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #2

Talking

To answer your question simply, yes there is a wide spread on Boxster prices, with the same car listed by Porsche dealers being significantly more expensive than from, say a smaller dealer like myself, or a private owner.

With due diligence, you can obtain VIRTUALLY the same car for much less money. The only significant difference that the Porsche folks offer is the CPO warranty item. This is a nice feature and unless the other seller bought an extended warranty on the car originally, this will be a nice plus for the Porsche dealer.

However, as you pointed out, the difference in prices is normally very large and the warranty in and of itself cannot explain away the difference, not even close.

Some folks simply want the "peace of mind" that they think comes from buying from the Porsche dealer and assume that there is no risk in this selection.

Of course, they are wrong.

There are many mistakes that you can make when buying a used Porsche. I would be happy to chat with you more on this topic if you wish. You may call me at 760-522-7327

Good luck

Rich Belloff
Belloff Motor Works, LLC
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:12 AM   #3

Thumbs up 01 prices

I looked for quite a while but I was able to find a 01' off lease Boxster in Louisville,KY
mint cond. w/7000 carfax cert. miles for $27,500.

How's that compare to elsewhere?
Maxandwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:14 AM   #4

My new "Used" Boxster S

I purchased a 2001 Boxster S "off lease" from a used car dealer 3 weeks ago. It is Lapsis Blue with a tan interior with 15,000 miles on the odometer. there are a few very minor paint chips and small scratches The original list price was about $55,000 so it has only a few options. I was able to get the original price when the Porsche dealer looked up the VIN. I paid $31,800 for the car. Before the purchase I had a local Porsche dealer check it out. He called me and told me that it only needed wiper blades. He checked the body for damage and painting and there was none. I hope that this helps you out.
Dons986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:38 AM   #5

My take is dealers know that they simply have to - wait - for people who come thru the door like sailors on shore leave in Barcelona. The sailors who's only companions have been magazine fold-outs have been dreaming of 'The Day' and will pay anything for warm companionship.

Some private sellers often are modivated by having already established an emotional attachment to some new car, but they're stuck with payments to an old girlfriend, so to speak. A classic example are HotRod builders who put $100k in something and happily accept $28k for it.

I talked to a guy in NJ who paid $40k at a P-dealer for a base 01 18mos. prior and kept lowering the price $2k 'till it sold. He needed the money and the 'his toy' had to go. Last I heard he took $22k in late Dec. Another in OH was upsidedown in a nice sounding car. He was stuck with a $34k price because he owed that much to clear the loan. There's lotsa stories out there....

The Chevy dealer I bought my 01-S from: a) didn't have a clue the car was reasonably loaded b) "priced to sell" in his words. The three P-dealers I looked at with both Cert/non-cert cars had them "priced to keep".

It's a crap shoot. Get lucky.

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #6

boxster pricing all over the place

i'm a brand new first time boxster owner. i purchased from private party a '97 with 5 speed and seems to have standard equipment. i'm concerned because the car has only 13,300 miles. retired executive ownd and only drive in winter months in arizona. i'm hearing that a car like this needs to be driven in order to be kept in good shape. i'm also concerned with rear main seal problems or so i'm told. needless to say the car looks like it was just driven off the new car dealer show room floor. the color is the deep dark blue. is there a fancy porsche name for the color? i'm thinking of taking it in for the 15,000 mile check as my starting point to learn about the car. i would appreciate any comments, good or bad .

thanks, bruce

ps. i paid $20,000 for the car. seems to be a good price.
bmyslis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:00 AM   #7

Tool Pants would probably have a better perspective but, as a civilian, I'd have all the fluids flushed (I had my brake fluid done on my 01 at the 15k service). I'd certainly pay for a complete inspection and ask them to look hard at all flexible/moving rubber bits. I do know airplane engines (also boxers) do not like to sit idle for long periods...

I hope you have more fun with it than the prior owner.

jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:57 AM   #8

Talking

The 15 K service is a great idea. AND, ask them to look for any signs of leakage and/or dried out rubber materials etc. I think a fluid flush is overkill unless the brake fluid looks bad, which is quite obvious upon inspection.

Does the car's tires feel out of round? How about the battery, any signs it is on the way out? Don't let Porsche sell you a new battery or tires as their prices are way too high.

I would not worry about the RM seal. 97s had some issues on seals anyway and if you have a bad one, you have a bad one. If it is bad, it will be leaking, if not, it is not!

On balance, your car sounds like an excellent deal. I like very low mileage Porsches!

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:00 AM   #9

I've been told one reason dealers take the wide end of the spread is because they can offer one thing a private seller can't....FINANCING

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote