Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 06:38 AM   #1

Hey buddy, can I borrow a buck?

For a couple of years, I've noticed that every village idiot who racks up credit card debt was putting up a web site and asking total strangers to pay them money to get out of debt... and total strangers indeed gave them money! One girl received $26,000 over the course of a year in the mid 90's. Simply unbelievable!

So, I decided that if I had a truly worthy cause (not the typical "I'm a financial idiot who has no self control) I would put up a web site myself to see if any total strangers would give me money for a Boxster!

I never expected to receive one thin dime from the site, but I've received one dollar donations from lots of friends, family members and just last month, a total stranger gave me $20, even though I clearly stated I had achieved my goal and now owned the car! He told me he just liked Boxsters and couldn't afford to drive one at his age (19) but wanted to give me a tank of gas and drive it with him in mind. (I'm still puzzled as to why ANYONE would give a total stranger $20, but nevermind, I've already put the fuel in the car!

http://www.iwantaporsche.net

Now before any of you get all high and mighty and chastise me in thread posting, know that this was just a JOKE! I never expected anyone to donate anything to my "most worthy cause."

But I will say this... I receive a lot of email through the site link telling me he or she laughed out loud reading the copy. (I must admit that's some of the best ad copy I've ever written...which is part of what I do for a living, by the way.)

Enjoy the site while it lasts, because I am sure I'll get a letter from PCA any day now telling me the use of their name in a web site address violates copyrights... in which case I'll just take it down because it does cost a little cash to keep online each year.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 04-08-2005 at 06:42 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:49 AM   #2

Talking

I like the site and I like your ingenuity.

Tell us about the wheels, they look trick!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:05 AM   #3

Oddly enough, these wheels are not that great, but they sure do make the car look different from any other Boxster on the road.

They are ROH rims, which I had never heard of until I did some internet surfing and found out it's an Australian company.

Frankly, I think a previous owner sold the very nice 16's that came on the car and put these inexpensive 17's on it, upgrading the size and probably pocketing the difference, which may have been as much as $1000.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #4

Sadly, the car looks strange with the 16s.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #5

I would mail the kid a picture of it for his wall 8x10 or something and maybe a short letter about how he shouldn't give up on his dream of owning a Porsche, etc. It would be a nice gesture. A few years ago, before I could buy a Porsche, I was at an autocross event and a guy took me for a ride in his 996turbo cause I loved it so much. I couldn't even explain how happy I was just to be able to ride in that car (until of course I got my Boxster).
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:25 AM   #6

Porschekid:

From what he wrote, he's already done this, but I did send him a nice thank you email note and told him to start a Porsche fund in a 5 gallon water bottle like I did when I was 19... Took me 21 years to save up enough for an old, beat up 1997, but I did it!
Old 04-09-2005, 04:03 AM   #7

.....and you can add it to your creative folio. Good thinking.

jim
wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #8

congrat man! it's the people like you make me think how lucky I really am, at the age of 16 with a very hard working parents and a 2001 S in my garage. drive it! drop the top and enjoy her while u are still living, you never know when an earthquake might strike.
Ricksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:13 AM   #9

I know how you feel, I live in Australia and such a car is double the price than in America due a crazy amount of tax we are subjec to pay on the car. Anyway after working the last couple of years I was able to purchase a beautiful black 1998 Boxster at only 53,000 kms. I'm only 20, in Australia this is quite a ridiculous car to have at my age but I love it to death its my new toy - guess my girlfriend is gonna have to get used ot being second hahaha. Anyway enjoy it, nothing better than cruisin with the top down on a crowded street with some music pumpin. Enjoy!

aKiNa2 is offline   Reply With Quote