Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2003, 08:34 AM   #1

Angry Wheel Bearing Failed at 16K

Right rear wheel bearing failed at 16K. Dealer said some wheel bearings were defective and fail early in life of car.

Anyone else seen this failure?

PS - No mystery when they go ... lots of noise varied by the spped of rotation at wheel ....

sturgedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:56 AM   #2

hmmm....
Interesting to know. My 2000 has about 24 k on it now(since I dont really drive it 3-4 months of the year while I do modifications) I have not seen that problem as of yet, and if I do I hope it happens before my warranty runs out this spring
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:20 AM   #3

You will start seeing more of this. The Grand Am team that was running a Boxster in GT CUP was replacing the bearings every 30-40 hours. Tidbit of info: The bearing part number is the same as a rear wheel bearing for a Porsche 914 and the same one utilized in the front of a 993.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #4

Good cross reference info thanks.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:42 PM   #5

Wheel bearings eh? You know, when I make a right turn, I get a ... "wom wom wom wom" sound which I theorized to be a wheel bearing on my passenger front. Does that sound right? It does bother me a little, but I didn't know if that was what it was.

Brad, okay thats not you Thats not even a boxster. So who is that? It seems a little weird to have that as your avatar picture

JBG
Old 08-30-2004, 07:29 PM   #6

That is a "friend" of mine. We had private showing at Parade this year of a Carrera GT. 4 of us. I shot a bunch of pics... she shot some of me... she looks MUCH better than me in the car..LOL

Yes. You have a wheel bearing failing. The bearing should run you 45$ or so. The labor is about 3 hours total. I use the recommended factory tool and it takes me 2.25 hours. The pain is removing the axle. I should have documented the last one I did... but alas.. I did not.

When I feel them going bad... I feel it in the brake pedal. It feels like the brakes are getting mushy (the caliper will try and bring the rotor back into line).

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 08-30-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:34 PM   #7

One of your moderators here knows the story behind her (William Harris) 5'10 German model who races Porsches... builds Porsches.. She will stand right next to you and pack wheel bearings with you.. she will stand there with you while you build engines and check torque on rod nuts... She has doen fueling for multiple pro teams (jumps the wall with fire suit on and fuel hoses during pit stops).. pretty damn COOL.

Here is the full size shot: ..speaking of shot... she will KILL me if she finds out about this... she is in Germany right now on a shoot...LOL

B
Old 08-30-2004, 08:06 PM   #8

Last OFF TOPIC post.. This is my current screen saver. I jumped up on a counter to take this shot... soo my 6'1 on top of a counter that was 4 feet off the ground...

B
Old 04-08-2005, 07:35 AM   #9

Same problem here on my 2000. It was the right rear. Sounded like I was driving a logging truck. Womp womp womp. I thought it was the Pirellis at first so I ignored it for a while planning to get new tires this Spring. Bad move.... The bad bearings damaged the hub and both needed to be replaced. $650

wk2mch is offline   Reply With Quote