Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2002, 03:44 PM   #1
Alex A.

shifting my Boxster

How many rps's before you engage 1st gear, 1st to second and so on. Is there a general rpm range? I have the feeling I'm shifting at too low rpm's or I'm shifting too fast.

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2002, 08:27 PM   #2

Short answer: In general daily driving I rev to ~2-3K RPM before letting out the clutch and ~5.5K before upshifting. Rarely done via the tach, mostly by ear... and I find that I have to watch myself doing ~50-60 MPH on side roads with the top down as it is really easy to forget to up/downshift just based upon the car's "feel".

I'm sure this whole subject may amount to something of a religious point; everyone will likely have their own opinion. If so, you might want to consult the "scripture" directly -- your owners' manual ;-).

There are an interesting set of diagrams on power, torque and acceleration provided at the back in the technical data section. Depending upon your view of the data, and how you like to drive your car, you might take away different lessons from them.

For instance, based upon the acceleration diagram for the S in my 2001 manual, the shift points are appx. 62, 110, 155, 195, 235 KPH (39, 68, 96, 121, 146 MPH). I assume this represents the OPTIMUM acceleration... as Porsche wants the car to look its best!

Taking these speeds and playing them against the 6-M Transmission diagram supplied, they imply shift points at appx. 7.0, 7.2, 6.8, 7.0, 6.0 (K RPM). So for best acceleration, sounds like Porsche recommends revving to somewhere in the 6-7,000 range for the 2001 S. Using the same data and looking at the "clutch out" (starting in the next gear) RPMs, it appears to be appx. 4.0, 5.0, 5.7, 5.8, 6.0 (K RPM).

While fun from time to time, this would mean too many clutch and tire changes for me for general driving use! You can play your driving style or objectives against these diagrams and pick your own best points...

donv is offline   Reply With Quote