986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New owner with questions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2376-new-owner-questions.html)

JackG 03-27-2005 07:38 AM

New owner with questions

Hello everyone!

I bought a 2000 Boxster S this week w/28K miles. Great car,I'm really enjoying it so far, and have a couple of questions.

There's a light in the front storage area (hood), but it's not working. The bulb is good, but no voltage on the socket. Any ideas? Where's the switch? I don't see one externally, so I'm guessing in the latch mechanism?

The battery is the original one. Cranking seems a tiny bit sluggish, and it's 5 years old, so I'm going to replace it. Unfortunately, I don't have the radio code (I have all other documentation and tools, just no code card). I'm assuming the local dealer can look this up? Also, I'm thinking about hooking up a 12v supply to the battery cables while I remove and replace the battery so the car never sees a loss of 12v during the swap (saving a trip to the dealer). Anyone ever done this, any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Brucelee 03-27-2005 08:16 AM

I would check the fuse on that light if you are sure the bulb is good.

Re: Battery, replacing is a great idea. Auto Zone has one for the Box for about $65 plus core charge.

Yes, dealer can provide code for you in about 60 seconds.

I have never tried the extra power supply approach but I am always leary around Box electronics. Hate the whole power surge issue.

Best of luck with new car and welcome to our board.

:cheers:

JackG 03-27-2005 12:22 PM

Thanks... it appears that the fuse that runs this light runs all the interior lights, and nothing else is out, so the fuse is good. I tested the bulb and it's also good, so that leaves the switch and wiring.

I think I'll just call the dealer and get the radio code instead of doing the power supply trick when I replace the battery. I want the code anyway.

Jack

Brucelee 03-27-2005 01:15 PM

"I think I'll just call the dealer and get the radio code instead of doing the power supply trick when I replace the battery. I want the code anyway."

Good point!

Ronzi 03-28-2005 01:55 PM

There is a switch in the area of the luggage compartment latch. You can actually reach it by sticking your finger in the latch opening in the plastic trim, towards the left (driver) side of the latch. The switch is actuated by a little spring loaded plastic peg.
Push that a couple of times and the light may come on.
I had the same problem, no light, bulb good, no fuse problems, etc.
Fiddling with that switch solved it.

wesbc 03-28-2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackG
I think I'll just call the dealer and get the radio code instead of doing the power supply trick when I replace the battery. I want the code anyway.

Jack

Good idea as you don't want the wire to cross as you take the terminal off and cause a spark resulting in injury. Best to play it safe!

RandallNeighbour 03-28-2005 05:51 PM

Call the dealer and get the radio code?

I don't think so.

You have to bring in your car so they can pull your radio quickly (it's a whopping 10 second procedure), get the serial number off it, insure you are the owner of the car and if I'm not mistaken, hook up the PST2 tool to the car to secure it for you.

Now when you get it, you should write it real big on a letter sized piece of paper and put in in your manual... but you probably didn't get one of those either if you bought the car used.

So order one from the parts department while they're getting your code for you... it's invaluable and very, very handy to have!

Brucelee 03-28-2005 06:17 PM

You do have to bring the car in. I don't think they have to pull the radio but they do need to verify you own the car.

Once you get the code, don't lose it. You will likely need it again.

Best of luck.

JackG 03-29-2005 06:21 AM

Thanks Ronzi... I got the light working by lubing the latch and switch mechanism and working it a few times.

I have an appointment this Thursday to get the coolant tank condensation issue looked at, so I'll get the radio code from them while it's there.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Jack

Ronzi 03-29-2005 06:55 AM

One other suggestion on the radio code business.
On the under side of the front luggage compartment lid you should find a paper sticker with all of the option codes for the car on it.
Dealers frequently scribble a couple of numbers on that sticker. One of them is the security system code, and the other is the radio code. Apparently this is done to save time for their service people when they have to disconnect the battery.

RandallNeighbour 03-29-2005 07:28 AM

Wow. That's high security! Kinda defeats the purpose of having security codes if every Porsche mechanic writes them on the car itself! :confused:

Ronzi 03-29-2005 07:36 AM

???
Makes sense to me.
Don't you write all your passwords on a sticky and then paste it to the front of your monitor?

JackG 03-29-2005 07:30 PM

Oh well... my hood doesn't have the radio code scribbled on it. I guess I'll have to wait on the dealer to give it to me Thursday.

Meanwhile... thanks to everyone that responded. Tonite I put a new battery in it, and I used a 12v supply to power the car while I replaced the battery. It was easy, the local dealer service guy said that that's what they do sometimes, and it worked fine. Everything is still working.

I'll let you know if anything weird happens.

Thanks!

Jack