986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   CEL...hmm. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2370-cel-hmm.html)

Perfectlap 03-25-2005 01:38 PM

CEL...hmm.

Just had a top to bottom inspection of the car done a week ago (no problems) and after taking off from a light the Check Engine light came on and Stayed on.

I haven't put gas in the car in over a week and I haven't touched the oil cap in over a month.

Now all my local Porsche service centers are closed :mad: until Monday.

Any suggestions?

p.s. I did fiddle with some of the fuses in trying to find the cause of my top not lowering. It was a faulty $4 e-brake switch replaced at the dealer service center.

Perfectlap 03-25-2005 04:58 PM

never mind....gas station attendant didn't replace the cap (no self serv in NJ).

Brucelee 03-25-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
never mind....gas station attendant didn't replace the cap (no self serv in NJ).

I hate New Jersey!

:confused:

underDAWG 03-26-2005 06:00 AM

Buy yourself of a OBD II code reader or just go to Autozone and have them read the code for you. It is pretty easy to make the inital diagnostic without going to the dealer. HTH.

Later,

Adam 03-26-2005 09:35 PM

LOL, I think the final concensus was that the gas cap was not screwed on properly. You don't need a OBD gizmo to tell you that(JK) :)

Perfectlap 03-27-2005 10:15 AM

bought a gas cap at Pep Boys. Filled up the tank.
Light is still on.
Does it take a while for the computer to register that the cap has been replaced?
Or does it have to be a Porsche cap?

underDAWG 03-27-2005 10:58 AM

PF, Not sure about Porsche, for most vehicles you can disconnect the battery to clear the code. If the code reappears, the problem still exists. The gas cap you bought from Pepboys may not fit (seal) properly. Go to Autozone, have them to read and clear the code(s). HTH.

Adam, please excuse if I stepped on your toes or anyone else. No need to slam me because I am a newbie here and you don’t like my answer. I am here to learn and contribute anyway I can. I am sure you are superior than me in every way. Peace.

Later,

Adam 03-27-2005 12:26 PM

Oh, don't take it personally. I wasn't trying to slam you. I left a (JK)just kidding after my post..you must have missed it) It just looked like you just didn't read the thread before you replied. Look back up there and you'll see what I mean. I was just joshin with ya.

PeterJoyce 03-27-2005 01:13 PM

Full serve and no tax make NJ great!!!

Perfectlap 03-28-2005 07:20 AM

Yeah I just read NJ has the cheapest gas in the U.S. and Hawaii has the most expensive.

JFP in PA 03-28-2005 10:38 AM

Time to ante up................

Time to buy a code reader/clearer......Pep Boys sells a neat Actron unit for about $60, will work on any OBDII car; which means anything sold in the US since 1996.

Perfectlap 03-28-2005 10:53 AM

where do you plug it in on the Boxster? how do you translate the codes?

porscheguy05 03-28-2005 05:01 PM

You plug it in at the lower portion of your under steering wheel panel. It is located just above your left knee when you are sitting in the drivers seat. You simply turn the ignition to the run position without starting the car after plugging it in, and follow the directions. It has saved me alot of money in the past, and is simple to use.

Perfectlap 03-29-2005 06:36 AM

thanks,
I just ordered the Actron OBDII. Does it tell you exactly what is wrong or do you have to look up a code?