Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #1

Garage Scrape Advice

I scraped the wheel arch area and a bit of the fender above it on my garage wall. Deep scrapes on the bumper; thru the paint to metal on the fender. Would you tackle this with touchup paint or is this a job for a body shop. If the latter, do you think they could do a spot touch up without a full and costly repaint.
Any experience/advice would be helpful. I am in the New Haven, CT area.
jim

jddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:00 PM   #2

Thumbs up

A good body shop MAY be able to air brush that in but I would guess they will want to do the whole fender.

Keep us posted.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:55 AM   #3

Go to the dealer to see you can pick up some touch up paint (a small can with a tiny paint brush) and carefully do it yourself temporately, or bite the bullet have the fender and bumper repainted by the body shop. HTH.

Later,
underDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #4

Any method will work, but quality will vary. If you're really trying to go for value (and you're comfortable doing it) I would remove the bumper yourself, tape anything needed, and carry it into a paint shop.

In a no-blending-needed job (which yours may be) if you've done the prep work then if you ask nice they'll usually paint it cheap. I had a Porsche-painted bumper completely redone for something like $50 because I walked in with it. All of about 15 minutes of labor on their end, no storage space needed on their part, no taping, etc.

There is always touch-up paint, though.

[EDIT]

Wait... just saw the upper part of your damage. Your call man. If I was going for a good combo of saving-green with good results I'd probably do what I suggested for the bottom and personally touch-up the area above the reflector by hand.

Last edited by Rowag; 03-26-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Rowag is offline   Reply With Quote