Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #1

Question to ipod users with Becker Stereo

Quick question guys - If you're using am interface cable for your ipod to standard/Becker head unit:

1) What interface are you using?
2) Do you have any/some/full control of your ipod from the Stereo and if so, what sort of information is displayed?

I'm looking into whether this (if practical) may be a better solution than a Solisto which uses an SD card which you split into 6 folders, 99 tracks in each and mimics the changer.

Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H
Quick question guys - If you're using am interface cable for your ipod to standard/Becker head unit:

2) Do you have any/some/full control of your ipod from the Stereo and if so, what sort of information is displayed?

I'm looking into whether this (if practical) may be a better solution than a Solisto which uses an SD card which you split into 6 folders, 99 tracks in each and mimics the changer.
i am using jeremy waen's ipod cable connected to my becker CDR-220 and my ipod with video. no control from the head unit, but i don't really mind so much. super easy to install and it's pretty well hidden. cable runs through center console and i place the ipod between the passenger seat and the center ridge. doesn't work with newer ipods or iphones for audio out. $20 less than becker's cable and does the same thing. also comes with the stereo removal keys.

http://www.iwirep.com/products/iwirep-220-ipod

Old 02-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #3

cvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H

Older Boxsters (<2003) have it easy with the Becker head units. If you have a MY03 Boxster or later then things are a pain in the ass due to the MOST bus which is incompatible to most iPod kits.
Anim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

I have the headphone jack aux input cable on my 220 and have it attached to the iPod charger from Monster

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5340

This allows me to charge and control my iPod (at least scroll through the songs and stop/play). I set my iPod to shuffle through all my songs and run through them, skipping the ones I don't feel like listening to.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #5

Hey Anim - Fantastic blog re. the Stereo upgrade.

With regards to the Ipod control (it's a 2001 986s BTW with a Traffic Pro Head Unit) I'm looking for a solution that allows me to control the tracks from the head unit. If the cable is simply the equivalent of a 3.5mm jack with charging, I might as well go for the Solisto. If I'm stuck with the same 6 folder/99 track per folder issue, I mght as well go with the Solisto.
My biggest issue is trying to keep the system looking as stock as possible, hence why I haven't junked the Head Unit - and the added benefit of integrated European Sat Nav

On to a future project, I'm looking at a pair of JL 6W0's or equivelant (6" mid-bass) in the doors and a Focal 4" 2-way/co-ax in the dash. Will I have mounting depth issues in the doors and/or is there room to build out a collar?
Is the stock 4 channel amp beefy enough for a replacement set of speakers?

Many thanks again

Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote