Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #1

Locked out - No Battery - System Armed - Can't pop front lid

Hi all,
I know that the classic story of beeing locked out of the car with a dead battery is very popular and that there is many post about it all over Internet. I know this is a subject that has been largely discussed here, I am sorry to start a new thread about it, but my situation is a little tricky, I think my problem is not the power to the front lid, but the locking system at the lever itself..

I have a 99 Canadian Boxster

I planned on Charging the battery because it wasn't powerfull enough to start the engine, so I poped the front lid, armed the car (because it was outside), disconnected the battery to get it changed, and then closed the front. Now I unlock the driver door with the key, try to pop the front lid (it's a cable), but it's locked in position by the armed alarm system I guess. I saw many solution, but I'm not sure witch one will work.

Connect a battery to the door hook (-) and to C3 fuse (+): this is probably useful if I had a eletric opening system, but on my old box it's a cable. I guess this won't unlock the lever, so I won't be able to pull it to open the front trunk.

change the battery trough the lighter accessory slot: I guess this can't really help me because there is no battery at all in the car, not just a dead battery.

Search for that emergency cable in the wheel wing: I'm not sure about this one because I can't really remove the wheel, and everywhere peoples don't agree on right side or left side, I guess this is a possible solution to help me out but I would like to avoid it, just in case.

unlock the lever locksystem with a screwdriver or a paperclip: (Battery Dead and Cant Access It, please help. ) This may be a solution, because my lever are cables and I guess my problem is that lock mecanism that locked my lever down, If i could unlock it to be able to pull the lever my front trunk would probably open. my lever for front and rear trunk are locked down and I can't pull them. could some one help me to get more information about what i need to move inside the lever assembly?

Or if someone have any comments or suggestion..

Thanks

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #2

I keep a Black and Decker battery pack that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It provides just enough juice to power the trunk levers. Costs $40 at Target or Wal-Mart.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #3

After several hours of search and digging.. I finally found a relevant thread on renntech..

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2751

The power to the front lid won't help my situation because the front lid is NOT eletric on pre 2000 (99 and down). The problem is that there is a mecanic lock on the lever that prevent me from pulling on it, it engaged when I armed the alarm system. I guess giving power to C3 won't help me here because the point is to unlock the lever, not to give power to a non-electric front lit opener, I would need to give power to the whole alarm system to be able to disarm it. In that thread they suggested the screwdriver method with A LOT of detailed information and pictures. I'll try that one as soon I get home and I'll give you some news about it.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
Search for that emergency cable in the wheel wing: I'm not sure about this one because I can't really remove the wheel, and everywhere peoples don't agree on right side or left side, I guess this is a possible solution to help me out but I would like to avoid it, just in case.
In your case with no battery at all in the car I think this is your only option - except for maybe disabling the lever lock, which I am not familiar with. This is the standard solution that Porsche provided for you though, which is why they put the cable in your fender well. Why not use the factory solution to your problem? It's really not all that bad to do and you don't have to take your wheel off to do it. I personally would go this route and I have had to before in the past...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #5

The black and decker battery pack could provide enough juice to activate the alarm system. I recall the whole dash board lighting up when I used it. Not sure if this meant all the electrics were juiced. In theory the battery pack can also jump start the car but I haven't done it.
I tried the screwdriver method and you need like a really thin screwdriver and lots of daylight. I tried for well over an hour to get at that lever thingy but no dice. Walked over to the Target near my house bought the battery pack and the had the trunk open in 20 minutes.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #6

Cool, thank for the tip, if I can't get it easily with the screwdriver, I'll try to find out my power pack (I know i got one somewhere.. but where?! :P). just for your info.. you 'could' maby start the engine with the pack in the lighter, but it would probably be to much load for the fuse of the accessories..
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #7

it says on the outside "jumpstart button" and there's only a cigarette light plug so I'm guessing they tested this thing before putting it out there for sale. You can also plug in your cell phone cigarette light adapter into the pack in case you get stuck in your car and your cell phone battery is dying. It fits on the rear shelf cubby in between your rear speakers.

p.s.
last week the blade from my key came off the clicker and I didn't realize it was still stuck in the ignition. It killed the battery and only a real jump start would get it running again. Being at least 5 years old I decided to put in a new battery when the AAA guy showed up. We went over to the autozone a few blocks away and I paid $80 for Titanium something or other battery. Which of course means I now need to take a trip to the dealer to get the radio code.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-13-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #8

Perfectlap-
I think there is a thread on renntech for getting your radio code, just to save you a trip to the dealer.
90red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #9

Vipola I had the same problem with my 97 and it did work by powering through cigarrete lighter.
juan986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:57 AM   #10

juan986, good to know
I din't find my cigarret plug adapter so I used a paperclip, worked in a few minutes.. perfect
all that because I wanted to charge my battery and keep the door lock because it was outside.. and my charger was not powerfull enough.. (1amp) I'll get a real car charger tonight and give it another try before buying a new battery

Thanks everyones for the help!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #11

To let everyone know for future reference, it worked!

a mini screwdriver is a little too big to manoeuvre in that small area but with the paper clip it work like a charm, be patient, and go deep.. I had it in 10 min..
Old 02-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #12

i dont understand why you need to use a battery maintainer.

why not just simply disconnect the battery? its so simple to do.

am i missing something?

embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote