Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 AM   #1

Hard To Find Top Leak Found

I developed a top leak which was getting the drivers side wet all the way to the alarm system...I caught it just in time. It seems the boots that catch the water and drains down thru the body is a little poorly designed by my inspection. Mine was leaking at the boot behind the seat. The boot is not glued on the top areas but behind the seat it is and I discovered a body channel that catches water and the boot is glued here, from the floor panel up to about 20" inches. Now the little rubber hole the water goes down actually drains in plastic funnel then out thru the tube, out the body. This plastic funnel is not trimmed out and there is about a 1/4" space around it. I guess this is to catch overflow and then it goes out the body panel at a different location. They should have glued a plastic bearer like on the doors to keep the water from entering in this area. It is always done on the door panels. A poor designed area that can cost you $1500 for a new alarm system. I am fixing mine...have too...live in Florida.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote