Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #1

Garage
brake and clutch flush this weekend

Sorry, I know this subject has been covered ad nauseum. I want to do a hydraulic flush this weekend. I've never done the boxster. It was last done 2/07 by the dealer I bought it from. I have a nice brake bleeder machine left over from my bimmer days that fits the boxster cap perfectly. My question is: I'm in a small town and we have the basic stores, autozone, oreillys etc. What fluid would you guys recommend that I could purchase at one of these stores??? And also, how much should I buy to do all four wheels and the clutch slave??

thanks in advance!!

sean

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #2

2 liters of brake fluid and this is the stuff i used last time and loved it.

Brake Fluid

enjoy!

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

I think Porsche requires dot-4. ATE appears to be everyone's favorite for it's high boiling point. I actually found it at the best price at a local Honda dealer last year.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I'm 90 miles from the nearest P-dealer. We do have a honda dealer though. I'm thinking of going with the blue stuff, as there is gold in there now. tnoice, do you think 2 ltrs is enough??

thanks
sean
Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #5

If you're experienced flushing brake fluid on the BMW then 2 liters should be enough. The first time I went a little overboard looking for bubbles and used every last drop of 3 liters. Changing fluid colors will certainly help you tell when enough is enough.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #6

Garage
Yeah, the boxster looks pretty easy. I may not even have to remove the front wheels to get to the bleeder valves. The only thing bothering me is the clutch slave. It looks to be a nightmare to get to. I have to have someone or something holding the clutch pedal all the way in when I bleed/flush it too, right???
Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
I have to have someone or something holding the clutch pedal all the way in when I bleed/flush it too, right???
Either a second person or a length of wood positioned to depress the pedal.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
Yeah, the boxster looks pretty easy. I may not even have to remove the front wheels to get to the bleeder valves. The only thing bothering me is the clutch slave. It looks to be a nightmare to get to. I have to have someone or something holding the clutch pedal all the way in when I bleed/flush it too, right???
It's tough to tighten and loosen the nut for the clutch. But it's do-able. Once you provide pressure to the reservoir and open the bleed valve, press in the clutch and it will stay down. You have to actually pull it back up when you finish bleeding.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #9

One litre is more than enough...

... especially if you're changing colors.
As soon as blue liquid starts coming out, that point is done.
You should be able to do all 4 corners (2 nipples per caliper) and the clutch with one litre.
Here are my instructions.
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Bleed_the_Brakes_%26_Clutch.html
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Last edited by ppbon; 01-23-2010 at 07:41 PM.
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #10

[QUOTE=SeanZ4]I may not even have to remove the front wheels to get to the bleeder valves. QUOTE]

Its better to just pull them off. Don't forget you have to do both the inside and outside valves.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #11

lol. when i bled my brakes this past summer, i realized that when i read some of these posts that i forgot to bleed the inside of the caliper.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #12

Garage
Thanks for all the replies.... I'm glad I came back and read this thread again. I wasn't sure if there were 2 nipples or not..... I'm having trouble finding the blue stuff in my area right now. (middle of KS) I may settle with a high quality dot 4 of some sort. I haven't checked the honda dealer yet. I've heard they may have it. Thanks for the instructions pedro. I'm going to go print them out now..

sean
Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #13

First time doing a brake bleed I used about 1.5 liters of ATE blue. With more experience maybe I can do it with 1, like the pros. Shipping was expensive enough that I bought 4 liters and a couple other odds and ends to get free shipping at Pelican. It's good to have a little extra around.

gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote